Snow !

Tempus Fugit

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mountain Road closed, all buses suspended

The Mountain Road was closed just after 8.30am, as conditions deteriorated up there following snow showers.

Listeners have been calling Manx Radio all morning, with reports of snow in the north, particularly Ramsey and Jurby.

That snow has now made its way south, falling and settling right across the Island.

The Lhergy Cripperty, East Baldwin, Tholt-y-Will, Druidale and Beinn-y-Phott Roads were all shut earlier this morning.

Meanwhile, all bus services were suspended until further notice just before 9am.

An update is expected around midday.

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=48843

so has the road gritter been out on the main roads????

It's amazing how people think that if the gritter has been out then all will be fine!

If they put the grit out too early, then the snow first falls as sleet/rain and washes the grit away. The water then freezes resulting in a frozen road.

If they put the grit out whilst it is snowing heavily, then the grit will sit top of an inch or so of uncompacted snow and not do a lot.

If they put the grit out once the snow has been compacted into ice then it seems to work a lot better.

i wasent meaning you, sorry if it sounded like it. as i read you had done it the day before.

But if more people took the time like yourselfs to do a bit around there homes, then these places would be much safer.

its just the type of world we live in i think, where we think the state should do everything for us

The amenities site in Douglas was giving out free grit this week. I popped in after work on Friday and got a bucket full to grit our path as did quite a few people judging by the half empty bags.

Archived