The Mailbox Lounge Bar & Grill

Minxie

I noticed the new place 'The Mailbox' on Circular Road the other day. Couldn't find a dedicated web site for them but did see they have a listing on eatout.co.im. Just wondered if anybody has been yet, and if so what it's like for quality of food, and prices?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't find a dedicated web site for them but did see they have a listing on eatout.co.im.

Try: 'themailbox.im'

Early days yet as they only opened last week so I believe. First impressions are that it seems quite good although it could prove to be expensive. Good quality food, service is a bit slow although I accept it's only early days and they're just finding their way. Drinks are more than what I would expect to pay averaging about £4.10 per pint. Menu seems to rotate or they haven't found the right one yet and the uniforms look like they come from a western rather than a refined restaurant so I'm not quite sure which image they're trying to portray.

As Rhumsaa says, I believe it's being managed by Steve Quirke, the manager / chef at The Tickethall which was Greens in the railway station.

• 2 weeks later...

The menu's change daily and so you can't get an idea of what they do...

I have eaten in there and after spemding £26 for lunch, and this was only my part of the bill, I left hungry!

Mind you that £26 did cover £4.25 for a pint of lager!!! I never saw a price list with the beer on it which I think is a breach of the licensing laws... please correct

Will not be eating there again in a hurry - Bar George can do me a lunch for two for that price and with a pint of Guinness, with change!

Food is over-priced for my liking and portion sizes are far too small...

A Queenie starter for instance has three single Queenies in their half shells with potato piped around it and grilled for £7.50. This may be quality but it is not value for money!

Also where are the phone numbers to ring?

Nothing on the outside of the building and last time I looked there were no opening times either or a daily menu displayed!

Website is just a text embedded holding page - hardly high quality!

Have to agree with portion sizes and prices but the food is lovely quite different too not your average list of boring food which is served on slates and wooden boards, and the desserts are good which always works for me.

They are open all day and into the evening which i also like i hate restricted opening hours of 12-2

Staff friendly

Looking forward to going again if someone else is paying :)

I might add that they add 12.5% tip :( Im never happy about that as i feel its should be my choice

Moreover, the food is served on slates. Using a knife and fork leases the diner with a fingernail on blackboard effect.

Over all though, the finish is exceptional, they just need to work on the small touches. I'd give it A 3.5/5.

I didn't think many places incurred a service charge any more. If I want to leave a tip that should be my choice. I usually add 10% if the service deserves it.

Are the slates flat, what happens if you have gravy?

Archived