General Election 2011 - Douglas West

Declan

If his Interview on Manx Radio is anything to go by, I don't think Mr. Moore will get my vote. He just seemed to have a lot of headline ideas with no real strategy. Buy the Steam Packet, and an airline? Also, maybe I'm being naive, but how on earth would you give local traffic preference at peak times?

I heard Geoff in Tynwald a few times.. coughing.

I remember Martin from school he was some what "special" then so his more... erm... "interesting" ideas are not really all that surprising.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard Geoff in Tynwald a few times.. coughing.

A warm sonorous baritone cough no doubt. Like just before when singing or giving a speech at some dinner or other.0

I think for Geoff, MHK = Celebrity. All this paperwork, Tynwald meetings, thinking about laws and stuff is very inconvenient and pretty boring.

Just heard Chris Thomas LVP on Talking Heads. I was really looking forward to it...former university lecturer; City of London big-wig....Dear oh dear. Not a single original thought in the man's head; not many thoughts at all actually. Had your chance to capture my vote Mr T and you blew it big style. Terrible. This election is depressing me to the point of misery.

Just heard Chris Thomas LVP on Talking Heads. I was really looking forward to it...former university lecturer; City of London big-wig....Dear oh dear. Not a single original thought in the man's head; not many thoughts at all actually. Had your chance to capture my vote Mr T and you blew it big style. Terrible. This election is depressing me to the point of misery.

Agree totally. Mentioned this on another thread but OK if LVP had a policy re could restate but lost if they did not and asked for his personal opinion. This was even the case when asked on issue relating to the effects of 0/10, tax capping etc which you thought he would be strong on as the paties economic spokesman!

From the LVP website

"Chris has recently returned from a secondent abroad as a chartered financial analyst, university lecturer and consultant. He has worked in Beijing as project Director for a Chinese central bank, and in Vietnam as Chief Technical Advisor for the development of capital markets. He serves on the Island’s Financial Services Review Tribunal and is Director of the IOM United Nations Association. Chris is dedicated in full filling his mission to visit as many constituents as possible in the remaining time to the election."

What is "a Chinese central bank"? Do they have more than one? And what is "full filling"? And what a limited "mission"!

Oh god oh god oh gooooooddddddddd

Just heard Chris Thomas LVP on Talking Heads. I was really looking forward to it...former university lecturer; City of London big-wig....Dear oh dear. Not a single original thought in the man's head;

I'm not sure originality of thought is really much of a prerequisite for business schools or the City ;)

Just heard Chris Thomas LVP on Talking Heads. I was really looking forward to it...former university lecturer; City of London big-wig....Dear oh dear. Not a single original thought in the man's head;

I'm not sure originality of thought is really much of a prequisite for business schools or the City ;)

Quite so...nor indeed for the LVP!

Quite so...nor indeed for the LVP!

I wish there candidates would also stop trotting out there reason for joining the LVP was that in their view the Island needs an opposition and party politics. It makes it sound as if the actually philisophy of the party is irrelevent and if the BNP had come along offering to act as an opposition and party politics they would have joined up!

Come on Chaps, we cannot complain about poitics of the party and then of personalities. Either he is OK on his own right or as part of a Party.

Too many of these threads are seeking to be negative about any candidate without considering that these are the people that we have to deal with, so make the best selection that you can.

The best of the rest, could well be the Tynwald that we need?

Come on Chaps, we cannot complain about poitics of the party and then of personalities. Either he is OK on his own right or as part of a Party.

Too many of these threads are seeking to be negative about any candidate without considering that these are the people that we have to deal with, so make the best selection that you can.

The best of the rest, could well be the Tynwald that we need?

OK ....let me be clear: Mr. Thomas failed to offer even a single illustration of why he is fit for election to public office ( he is not alone in that if course). The LVP is a loose association of other individuals akin to Mr. T....second - and third - rate; failing when challenged; lacking in insight and imagination; inarticulate; I'll-informed and uninspiring. They are not what we need be they be new, different. "alternative" or even simply not the present administration. They have the added millstone of being "led" by a moron. This is not to say that there is a great deal of quality outside of LVP among "non-aligned" independent candidates - clearly there isn't - but I'm not prepared to cast a vote for Mr. T on the basis that "he'll have to do". Sod that.

Chris Thomas has just had a good duffing up at the hands of John Moss. Very entertaining.

I had switch that broadcast off. John Moss was embarrassing. He's trying to ape John Humphries on the Today programme by continually interrupting people. Candidates needs a decent opportunity to present their case.

Chris Thomas has just had a good duffing up at the hands of John Moss. Very entertaining.

I had switch that broadcast off. John Moss was embarrassing. He's trying to ape John Humphries on the Today programme by continually interrupting people. Candidates needs a decent opportunity to present their case.

It is a five minute interview, and if candidates try to avoid answering the question by waffling then or going onto another topic then they should be interupted.

It was a very simple question this morning from JM, "Would you serve as a minister or in a department?" I think he expected the answer to be no and then to move on. That has been the LVP position to date and apparently the reason why Malarky left. Thomas continually did not answer the question or gave the impression he would serve in a department. Rightly I think JM kept pressing him on this as the position of whether a member of the LVP will or will not serve in a department is a fairly important issue. I think JM thought like I did that the LVP policy was not to serve in departments unless the LVP were the government. Thomas gave the impression that was not the case. JM tried to get clarity

There is no reason why a Party's policy cannot be changed. If Malarkey had felt so strongly about this, as a senior member of the Party he should have used his incisive intellect and highly honed negotiating and pin point persuasion techniques to amend Liberal Vannin Party policy.

Instead he took the easy route and joined all the big boys on easy street. (Did I say 'easy street'? Well yes, I did).

He left the Party and took all his disciples from Douglas COuncil with him too.

I agree, it is a bit of a bastard people like me always bringing this up. But if I didn't then it would easily be forgotten, wouldn't it.

I am not a member of Liberal Vannin. I'm just a person that would like to see people with a bit more backbone in our Parliament.

Now more than ever.

Archived