General Election 2011 - Douglas West

Declan

Wouldn't disagree for a moment that Shimmin is the best candidate but he'll finish second behind Corkish as in 2006. Thomas won't make it. You are absolutely correct in your assessment of why Beecroft is in South Douglas....LVP want to spike Malarkey with the same obsession that Gollum wanted the ring.

Apologies, I should have checked the figures from the last election. It is staggering now looking at his performance etc to think that Corkish topped the vote but I have to admit that looking back 5 years with his background of having had a senior job at the Steam Packet I may have been tempted to vote for him in 2006.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I just heard Corkish on the radio saying that Alistair Darling referred to us as an island in the North Sea - the upshot being that they don't even know where we are. In fact, Darling referred to us as a "tax haven sitting in the Irish Sea", showing that he fully knew both where - and what - we are

I think it was Corkish, anyway, but he and Shimmin seemed to be in some sort of competition to see who could sound the most Manx

More of a pun fight in the old west.

I hope Corkish gets his arsed kicked in this election. I wonder if he'll have the audacity to put out another manifesto, since he did sod all that was in the last one?

Geoff Corkish seemed too often to be playing the time worn tactic of trying to reassure the electorate with the arm round the shoulder, 'safe pair of hands' approach. He seemed to be telling the voters that all is well and that he and his elected colleagues have been quietly bending their backs, rolling up their sleeves and calmly without fuss getting the job done. His message is that seas have been choppy, it may get a bit rough, but we're in good hands. This sort of flannel probably goes down well in the leafier suburbs of West Douglas but it's a very inadequate picture of policy and decision making, and the role of MHKs like Geoff in the business of government. John Shimmin is easily the best candidate in this constituency but he needs to guard against a tendency to downplay legitimate criticism of government as mere perception. Arrogance and hubris are the traditional twin downfalls of politicians and he perhaps needs to rediscover some of the youthful qualities that made him a good MHK in the first place. He has been ruminating and chewing on the cud a bit too much and comes across as a bit of an Eeyore at times, sulking in the corner of the field. I didn't hear anything from the other two challengers that suggests an upset to the status quo, but I'd like one of them to give Geoff Corkish a run for his money. The thought of him just turning up and taking the cheque (and pension) for another five years is not an attractive one.

Here's the start of a rare Tynwald/House of Keys speech by Geoff:

I will be as short and concise as I can, mindful of the hour. We all recognise the seriousness of the times in which we find ourselves, and I thank, as others have done, the Treasury Minister and the team for the challenges that they have met and the challenges which are yet to come. Times change and we must change also. The world has changed and we must change also, and the view and vision of the United Kingdom government towards us has changed, too. Our Island has been bitterly disappointed and outraged by the actions of the UK government, sir, on not only the handling of the loss of the Reciprocal Health Agreement but other issues, the legacy of which is the position that we now find ourselves in. They are the villains of the script, not us. Notwithstanding but embracing the views already shared by some of us, I look for a keener, leaner Government for the future, and view this time as a wake-up call for our Island, a re-evaluation of our business and relationships, and we must not lose that opportunity.

The working of an astute and incisive political mind or hot air, permeated with cliche and waffle?

Source: Hansard

edited for some colorisation

Hot air ? After reading that I feel like I've just stuck my head in a blast furnace. But some folks lap this sort of stuff up like mothers milk and it's what passes for great wisdom from the tribal elders in some quarters. Full of all the reassuring words and phrases that would have little old ladies nodding and dribbling over their knitting and old men reaching for the pipe tobacco and their favourite meerschaum, snug in the comfort of Geoff's lexicon of empty rhetoric.

Srikes me that Skinner is 'doing a Woodford'

Rejected for Legco so now trying for an MHKs cushion

Just like Kev.

Or... maybe again trying to enter politics through a more legitimate accountable means for something that he would put his heart and soul into?? Why do people on here always seem to find ulterior motives for everything! As John Skinner has lived in West Douglas and remains to, cares for it, knows it and knows many of the constituents what else is a better reason to vote for him?? He'll be getting my vote! As for 'a waste of ink on the ballot paper' (to paraphrase) that will be contested on election day. most certainly John will be getting the vote of my generation, the students... because it is he and John Shimmin who don't overlook us and will talk and listem to us. Thomas came to my door, and assumed because I was young I had little interest or knowledge of politics, which seems to be the general feel of my peers.

Hmmm - a big mistake. Of course we all know that anyone under the age of 21 hasn't got a clue about politics, but that isn't the point.

It's votes what counts.

Remember - 11 year old kids today will be voting at the following general election. Kiddie farming is the new grannie farming.

Just like Kev.

Or... maybe again trying to enter politics through a more legitimate accountable means for something that he would put his heart and soul into?? Why do people on here always seem to find ulterior motives for everything! As John Skinner has lived in West Douglas and remains to, cares for it, knows it and knows many of the constituents what else is a better reason to vote for him?? He'll be getting my vote! As for 'a waste of ink on the ballot paper' (to paraphrase) that will be contested on election day. most certainly John will be getting the vote of my generation, the students... because it is he and John Shimmin who don't overlook us and will talk and listem to us. Thomas came to my door, and assumed because I was young I had little interest or knowledge of politics, which seems to be the general feel of my peers.

Thanks for joining to say that.

Just like Kev.

Thanks for patronising me...

Thanks for joining to say that.

Hmmm - a big mistake. Of course we all know that anyone under the age of 21 hasn't got a clue about politics, but that isn't the point.

It's votes what counts.

Remember - 11 year old kids today will be voting at the following general election. Kiddie farming is the new grannie farming.

How dare you say that? I'm studying politics at a Russell Group University and have probabaly a lot more knowledge on politics than many people who are middle aged. People like you are the reason that my clearly ignorant generation are apathetic.

Archived