Help With Paying The Rent

Moghrey Mie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

more government subsidy? if they means tested council houses perhaps this wouldn't be necessary...?

and where in the wolrd is he going to get this cash from to pay for this.

should he not be looking at say saving a few million, then taking a couple of thoushand out for his plan :rolleyes:

o hold in is it an election time again, is it one more thing that there promising that they know they will never achive,

tell me are the islanders that thick that the MHKs think they can come out with these lines, and we will think oo hes great.

i would vote for anyone that came out and said, the times up for spending, we have to make savings, no more spending on ideas, thats just the way it is, least we know there telling the truth

The rents over here are rather high anyway. I'm all up for them plumetting through the floor :P But as it's the Isle of Man, nothing will happen, they'll get propped up again and again.

and where in the wolrd is he going to get this cash from to pay for this.

He isn't. Apart from everything else I would have thought that Tynwald would have to approve any further spending, and they're not sitting again until after the election. Also, is assistance with housing even in Bell's department? It sounds more like it would be the responsibility of the Department of Social Care, along with the First Time Buyer's scheme.

Naked electioneering at its worst, verging on a bribing the electorate with tantalising but pie in the sky ideas about having their rent paid for them and convincing the banks to hand out mortgages. It was bad enough when Quayle was in the paper welcoming a first time buyer with a bouquet of flowers, but at least he could claim that his department had done something (irrespective of whether it was the right thing or not), but this is pure fantasy coming from Bell.

Give it a few weeks and he'll be offering to buy us all new tumble driers (which would then be spun as record sales for MEA showrooms) and telling us all about his great new scheme to capitalize on the Island's space industry and get the Island back on its feet by building a ladder to Mars.

There is a fair rent tribunla. I chair it, we get very few applications. We also deal with rates and service charges. There is a page on the Court Web site for Tribunals, all info is on there.

more government subsidy? if they means tested council houses perhaps this wouldn't be necessary...?

Absolutely what you said Merkin. I think that all social housing should be means tested. I live in a council (well, Commissioners as it is Ramsey) house and for the privilege of doing so (and I do see it as a privilege, not a right) I would be more than happy to submit quarterly bank statements or whatever.

People renting in the private sector have the rawest accommodation deal in the island.

People with mortgages effectively get state help because they get mortgage tax relief.

People with a modest but reasonable income get state help on to the property ladder with the first-time buyers' scheme.

People in local authority houses pay a fraction of the rent they would in the private sector. Again, a form of state help.

But people who live in the poorest accommodation (the flats in lower Douglas, Christian Road etc) and who are likely to have the lowest income get no help.

The island's housing policy is unfair and skewed against the people who need help most.

Something for the candidates in Douglas East to mull over . . .

Absolutely what you said Merkin. I think that all social housing should be means tested. I live in a council (well, Commissioners as it is Ramsey) house and for the privilege of doing so (and I do see it as a privilege, not a right) I would be more than happy to submit quarterly bank statements or whatever.

The Govt already gets a tax return from everyone so they can use that. Means testing is long overdue to assist those who really need the help and to get those who don't need it to pay substantially more. Someone I worked with until recently was on £30k and had her partners income going into the house and she was paying buttons for rent. 2 cars and 3 to 4 holidays a year. That's just unfair to those who really need to be housed. From what she told me it's not an isolated thing either.

Archived