Juan Says Sorry

gidderwook

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact it doens't constitute a criminal offence doesn't make it acceptable behaviour for the law and order minister

And when it happens on the Steam Packet?

Sometimes over bumpy roads the same sort of motion sickness can occur. It does not mean the person is incapable, disorderly, or necessarily even drunk!

Sometimes over bumpy roads the same sort of motion sickness can occur. It does not mean the person is incapable, disorderly, or necessarily even drunk!

From Mr Watterson own lips...

I would like to sincerely apologise to all those who had to witness me drunk on Friday night.

so that much, at least is beyond question.

This should not affect his position as an MHK but unfortunatly I think he should stand down as a Minister. If he had been say Treasury minister or the DHSS Minister it would be different but in my view you can not stand up one day warning about X and then the following day do X especially if X falls within your remit.

This should not affect his position as an MHK but unfortunatly I think he should stand down as a Minister. If he had been say Treasury minister or the DHSS Minister it would be different but in my view you can not stand up one day warning about X and then the following day do X especially if X falls within your remit.

I tend to agree. It seems harsh, given it is such a minor indiscretion, but the timing and his ministry surely make his position untenable. The reason he won't go is because he is reasonably popular and all he did was sick up on a bus - yet another MHK saying one thing, doing another and getting away with it.

One rule for them another for us, etc etc

Let's just go over this

The Home Affairs Minister is calling for a responsible attitude towards alcohol this Christmas.

Juan Watterson hopes to see a fall in the number of booze related incidents the emergency services are called to.

Recent crime statistics show arrests for drunkenness increased by just over 5% in the last year.

No emergency services were called out

As well as causing problems for the police, alcohol also leads to call outs for fire crews, when people try to cook a snack after a night out.

Two people have already been arrested and charged with drink driving offences since the launch of the annual anti drink drive campaign.

Mr Watterson says this is why the message must be repeated every year

He didn't drive home, he didn't do any cooking. Didn't go against what he said there.

What he did do though is go drinking - maybe have one or two too many. And then maybe the motion of the bus was just a bit too much for that lager swilling around in his stomach. Christ number of people I've seen do this is hardly a new thing.

Hardly crime of the flaming century.

Next time though let's hope he get's in the car and causes a real crime just to get in an uproar about eh?

Agreed, if this was a high profile UK MP they would be demoted ASAP and serve a bit of time off the front benches. Resign then be brought back after a suitable period, say 9-12 months.

Lots of us will of done the same or similar thing when we were his age but that does not make it OK for an MHK. Being in that position should make you never, ever let yourself get into that position.

Let's just go over this

The Home Affairs Minister is calling for a responsible attitude towards alcohol this Christmas.

Juan Watterson hopes to see a fall in the number of booze related incidents the emergency services are called to.

Recent crime statistics show arrests for drunkenness increased by just over 5% in the last year.

No emergency services were called out

As well as causing problems for the police, alcohol also leads to call outs for fire crews, when people try to cook a snack after a night out.

Two people have already been arrested and charged with drink driving offences since the launch of the annual anti drink drive campaign.

Mr Watterson says this is why the message must be repeated every year

He didn't drive home, he didn't do any cooking. Didn't go against what he said there.

What he did do though is go drinking - maybe have one or two too many. And then maybe the motion of the bus was just a bit too much for that lager swilling around in his stomach. Christ number of people I've seen do this is hardly a new thing.

Hardly crime of the flaming century.

Next time though let's hope he get's in the car and causes a real crime just to get in an uproar about eh?

What do you mean by 'gets in the car'?

Let's just go over this

No, you're right. Highly paid law and order minister lectures populace on the demon drink, then, within hours, gets so pissed he can't contain the contents of his stomach on a bus. That's fine. Let's see how charitable we are next time a government minister we don't like makes a minor mistake which is contrary to his departmental ethos.

Archived