Juan Says Sorry

gidderwook

for all the w. anchors who are calling for JW's head get a grip will you. He will be feeling more than stupid at the moment but it's not a chuffing hanging crime. This thread just about typifies you inbred manx crabs. "look lads, one of us is getting to the top. Drag him back down".

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Buddysmum

for all the w. anchors who are calling for JW's head get a grip will you. He will be feeling more than stupid at the moment but it's not a chuffing hanging crime. This thread just about typifies you inbred manx crabs. "look lads, one of us is getting to the top. Drag him back down".

Agree totally (I'm Manx and I think I'm probably a bit inbred too, but I'm not a crab :D )

I feel this type of behaviour is highy inappropriate.

It reflects poorly on Mr Watterson that he has so lost control of himself - especially when it was a works event, and when he'd been telling others to watch their behaviour only hours before.

Should he resign or be sacked ... I'm not certain, but I don't think it is acceptable for an MHK to be so inebriated in public.

He's apologized and expressed regret, that is a start.

Of course, nearly everyone has at one time or another taken too much drink - though I've never been so drunk as to be sick in public, I have in private and that to me is the crucial difference. If the police come upon someone so inebriated in public it is highly likely they will take action to ensure the person isn't a danger to themselves and others.

It looks like Mr Watterson was treated well by the bus driver - more than likely that was because he knew who he was - a stranger would probably have been less well treated and would have ended up in the care of the police.

I read alot of solidarity with Mr Watterson's plight - well I'm not so sympathetic. If most of the lads on the forum got so drunk on a bus I think it would often not end so well. Mr Watterson isn't just a lad, he's an MHK and a minister with responsibility for public behaviour.

It is the public nature of Mr Watterson's behaviour which I think is the biggest issue here - yes people can get drunk and embarrass themselves, but the more public their behaviour the greater consequences.

Guest Buddysmum

It is the public nature of Mr Watterson's behaviour which I think is the biggest issue here - yes people can get drunk and embarrass themselves, but the more public their behaviour the greater consequences.

But he's going to be feeling like a complete idiot, isn't he? Surely that's punishment enough? I hate that "morning after" feeling when you just know you've made a complete idiot of yourself (been there more times than I care to remember!) - but with most people it's a private shame. There's a lot to be said for being a politician on the Island - it's hardly an onerous job, it's extremely well paid, and they bask in the glory of being a big fish in a small pond. But the one thing they have to put up with is being judged, publicly, for what they do in their private time. At least he's got the courage and manners to hold his hands up and apologise!

But he's going to be feeling like a complete idiot, isn't he? Surely that's punishment enough? I hate that "morning after" feeling when you just know you've made a complete idiot of yourself (been there more times than I care to remember!) - but with most people it's a private shame. There's a lot to be said for being a politician on the Island - it's hardly an onerous job, it's extremely well paid, and they bask in the glory of being a big fish in a small pond. But the one thing they have to put up with is being judged, publicly, for what they do in their private time. At least he's got the courage and manners to hold his hands up and apologise!

The Lad made a mistake as we all have & no-one was hurt. He has had the courage to apologise and I have every sympathy with him. However, the unfortunate fact is that he is a Govt Minister and he happens to be in charge of Law and Order. I think it is unlikely that he will be taken seriously in this role for the time being. I can see no choice but a return to a departmental role, at least for 12months. I am sure he will return stronger and wiser and i wish him all the best.

I feel this type of behaviour is highy inappropriate.

It reflects poorly on Mr Watterson that he has so lost control of himself - especially when it was a works event, and when he'd been telling others to watch their behaviour only hours before.

Should he resign or be sacked ... I'm not certain, but I don't think it is acceptable for an MHK to be so inebriated in public.

He's apologized and expressed regret, that is a start.

Of course, nearly everyone has at one time or another taken too much drink - though I've never been so drunk as to be sick in public, I have in private and that to me is the crucial difference. If the police come upon someone so inebriated in public it is highly likely they will take action to ensure the person isn't a danger to themselves and others.

It looks like Mr Watterson was treated well by the bus driver - more than likely that was because he knew who he was - a stranger would probably have been less well treated and would have ended up in the care of the police.

I read alot of solidarity with Mr Watterson's plight - well I'm not so sympathetic. If most of the lads on the forum got so drunk on a bus I think it would often not end so well. Mr Watterson isn't just a lad, he's an MHK and a minister with responsibility for public behaviour.

take yourself off down town and treat yourself to a life will you. You are one of the hideous little no-marks hiding on forums and chat rooms just to make negative comments on other peoples lives. What a loser

does this have any connection to being flung about on the top deck of a bus after night out possibly being down to the standard of driving rather than the standard of passenger ? :lol:

Couldn't have been that bad if he was asleep when the bus got to Port St. Mary.

I like how twist this around to blame the (I hesitate to use the overemotive word victim) person most inconvenienced by Juan's indescretion.

I have never known anyone disciplined from Tynwald in my memory for, losing huge amounts of public money by not hedging currency, deliberately misleading the house, omitting to oversee public expenditure etc etc ad nauseum : Lets get this into proportion !

In this case the favourite phrase of our elected halfwits is appropriate I feel "Lessons have been learned we move on !"

What a non-story - so a bloke goes out has a few drinks and is sick on a bus. He didn't break the law, just made a tit of himself and unlike Joe blogs, apologised and paid damages. Who really cares?

So what if he is an MHK? I have seen politicians making huge tits of themselves in the UK and here yet because they get cabs or call a mate to pick them up, they don't go through media hell for something everyone has done at some point. I think MHKs should be able to live their lives like we all do, they are not better than us, they get paid to do a job like we all do. If it was a religious leader I could understand people getting upset.

It doesn't affect his ability to do his job, Mr Watterson is one of the very few MHKs that works stupidly hard for this Island and it would be a huge loss if he resigned from a post that he can do great things in. Very happy that he is my local MHK in any event.

Juan's most costly error of judgement was to use public transport. This seems to have caused him greater exposure than having his phone tapped by a national newspaper, despite his honest and very sincere apology.

How many important figures have successfully concealed, and continue to conceal, their celebrations from the public by generously tipping taxi drivers, or by driving their own vehicle home with potentially deadly consequences? There will be many new dents in cars, walls, hedges, and car imprints on beaches, before this festive season is over, and as many cover-ups.

The launching of stone missiles by the inhabitants of extensively glazed dwellings will continue until a fresh target for the hypocites is located.

What a non-story - so a bloke goes out has a few drinks and is sick on a bus. He didn't break the law, just made a tit of himself and unlike Joe blogs, apologised and paid damages. Who really cares?

So what if he is an MHK? I have seen politicians making huge tits of themselves in the UK and here yet because they get cabs or call a mate to pick them up, they don't go through media hell for something everyone has done at some point. I think MHKs should be able to live their lives like we all do, they are not better than us, they get paid to do a job like we all do. If it was a religious leader I could understand people getting upset.

It doesn't affect his ability to do his job, Mr Watterson is one of the very few MHKs that works stupidly hard for this Island and it would be a huge loss if he resigned from a post that he can do great things in. Very happy that he is my local MHK in any event.

I disagree with that.

Firstly, I believe his actions were an offence, punishable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1000, if action were to be taken. The bus service has passenger conduct regulations, covered by law.

Secondly, it is a major misjudgement. Yes we all have them, but a minister issuing notices the same day about the very same conduct? ...well people have resigned in the past over much less. It's more dissapointing than anything. This is not just some bloke, it is the Minister for Home Affairs, and if you are happy to let standards drop (and put it down to blokey immaturity), that's your choice, but it's not mine.

Archived