Space Jolly

Tugger

I do not know whether to laugh or be frightened.

Just laugh, heating maintenance does indeed really mean chimney sweep. They say that being a sweep makes you lucky .. well if he becomes Commander of the USS Department of Enterprise on the Pokerstars sponsored IOM trip to Uranus then he's the luckiest sweep alive.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what folks are saying Space may be the right thing for any MLC:

a continuous area or expanse that is unoccupied

Sounds like certain minds.

Already there is quite a lot of business based over here in the hight tech manufacturing, lazers, lenses, aerospace engineering parts etc. High cost low bulk items are the key. I understand the lenses or the lazers on the current US Mars Rovers were actually made on the Island up in Onchan.

So currently the Island already has a little exposure to the Space industry. The whole "IOM as a new international space hub" is down to the fact that we don't have insurance premium tax (if you can save 10% on the insurance policy for a multi billion dollar piece of equipment you are about to strap onto missle, that represents some savaing!) plus the old 0% corporate tax.

I've had some involvement through work and to be honest think its a good thing and Chris Stott has to be commended for bringing the drive to the Island to do this. We need as much work as we can get in the financial sector at the moment as the UK Govt are actively attacking all business we currently hold in the traditional sense, otherwise in 10 years time the Island will not have a financial sector. The IOM GOvt unfortunately are doing very little to combat this. Already I see a huge amout of business going to other jusrisdictions who do not ask the ridiculous amount of questions and evidence we now need to hold for viable good business. These requirements are imposed (and enhanced by the FSC) upon us by the US and the UK. Obvioulsy with the number employed in Financial Sector, somebody needs to find something else for us all to do and Space might possibly be one route.

I was actually at a conference recently hosted by Chris Stott about establishing a Sattelite Society over here in line with numerous other countries. He put it all together, knows all the relevant people and offered to be the Chairman. Alex Downie made a selection of dumbass comments and was visibly pissed off that he did not get voted to be the Chairman with zero experience. He's a liability.

I honestly can't believe that anything is successful because of Downie - it might be successful in spite of him.

Are there any metrics for determining whether these sorts of jollies are worthwhile?

Ever been self employed?, or worked for a large company in the sales department?.

You have to meet people face to face.

Ever been self employed?, or worked for a large company in the sales department?.

Yes but if your a total fuckwit meeting people face to face is completely counter productive for your business, which I think was Tuggers main point.

Yes but if your a total fuckwit meeting people face to face is completely counter productive for your business, which I think was Tuggers main point.

One fully-blown fuckwit and one who's halfway there. Imagine being a captain of the US space industry and meeting the grinning, midget buffoon that is Downie...

One fully-blown fuckwit and one who's halfway there. Imagine being a captain of the US space industry and meeting the grinning, midget buffoon that is Downie...

The Yanks might be impressed, they could think he is related to ET.

Actually, after a little more thought, given that the space industry is all about how many tax dollars you can rape out of government I wouldn't be surprised if the President of NASA was drooling at the prospect of dealing with politicians as daft as Downie. Expect a deluge of space industry delegates heading towards Prospect Hill any moment...

But he's an obvious choice isn't he given that he's still got all that Cannes leisurewear hanging up in his wardrobe from his days hanging out with Johnny Depp on the floating gin palace that we paid for. In his Raybans, Gucci loafers and pastel shades I'm sure he'll do the business. I just hope he left the rods at home; it wouldn't do to get soot on that Tony Curtis blazer....

2. did Downey and Craine fly business class?

They were both in the "executive lounge" at Ronaldsway on Saturday morning.

As for the class of travel see http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/treasury/procurement/financialregulationssept11.pdf

There should be a record of this as the Chief Exec is obliged to keep one. How about a request under the Access to Information code?

Archived