Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

2 hours ago, guzzi said:

Works fine for me. Whole timetable downloads as a PDF, in date order, starting with current day. Formatting is everything I would expect.

SteampacketTimetables-4.pdf

But it isn’t in sailing date order. There are a few days of Heysham departures, then a few days IoM. 

Seems to go 4 days at a time. All 02.15 departures, all 08.00 departures, all 08.45 departures, then all 14.0, 14.15 and 19.45.

Real pigs ear.

F4CC1D68-F35A-413B-A087-63552447594C.png

Edited by John Wright
  • Like 1

We were on the Ben out on Friday to Heysham, back on Sunday via Birkenhead.  The boat wasn't  packed on either journey but still quite full. 

The Steamie does take some stick but, on all the times I have travelled, I have never really had an issue with them.  My only real criticism is the on-board catering which is basic. But, there again, I remember the days of the dining saloon with silver service and, what amounted to little more than a tuck shop for the rest of us!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Gladys said:

We were on the Ben out on Friday to Heysham, back on Sunday via Birkenhead.  The boat wasn't  packed on either journey but still quite full. 

The Steamie does take some stick but, on all the times I have travelled, I have never really had an issue with them.  My only real criticism is the on-board catering which is basic. But, there again, I remember the days of the dining saloon with silver service and, what amounted to little more than a tuck shop for the rest of us!

Wasn’t there a first and second class dining saloon pre the one class sideloaders?

And wasn’t the catering, even in the dining saloons, pretty basic. Poached Greenland Halibut. Kippers. Apple pie and Ice cream, ham salad, manx broth. Breakfast was ok tho’.

The deck buffets were dire. Curly sandwiches, meat pies, strong tea, terrible coffee and Genoa cake and fruit cake slices.

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Wasn’t there a first and second class dining saloon pre the one class sideloaders?

And wasn’t the catering, even in the dining saloons, pretty basic. Poached Greenland Halibut. Kippers. Apple pie and Ice cream, ham salad, manx broth. Breakfast was ok tho’.

The deck buffets were dire. Curly sandwiches, meat pies, strong tea, terrible coffee and Genoa cake and fruit cake slices.

TBF John, it was only ever a 4 hour journey at the most. Not like a med cruise.

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

TBF John, it was only ever a 4 hour journey at the most. Not like a med cruise.

Perhaps you never sailed to Belfast Ardrossan and Dublin, timewise.

i was just reminiscencing. Didn’t go into the dining saloons, except as a treat when travelling with my grandparents.

Just remember the menu cards, that didn’t change for 30 years.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Perhaps you never sailed to Belfast Ardrossan and Dublin, timewise.

i was just reminiscencing. Didn’t go into the dining saloons, except as a treat when travelling with my grandparents.

Just remember the menu cards, that didn’t change for 30 years.

Pretty much the same here.

I am just a Steam Packet fan of many decades and don't like seeing them "dissed" by people not old enough to know any better. That's all.

• Like 1

Just now, dilligaf said:

Pretty much the same here.

I am just a Steam Packet fan of many decades and don't like seeing them "dissed" by people not old enough to know any better. That's all.

I wasn’t dissing. I’m neither a fan nor a critic. I frequently defend when plain wrong or derogatory comments are made. Likewise I criticise where it’s due.

The buffets were truly dreadful. But they were closed 35 years ago, thank god.