Mots ?

doc.fixit

This has been done before, but I can't seem to find it.

Basically if I remember, there's not enough testing stations to check all the vehicles all year round and who inspects the testing stations?

Maybe it's just another way to get a few more Government jobs on the board and some exec post?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to know this. That's why my car gets serviced once a year or so. And when I want to take it across I take it to the garage for a once over.

So you'd be taking it anyway. I know I can do this, but it's stellar to know that the other cars on the road are safe too. Some people wouldn't (and don't) get them checked. It would depend entirely on cost of check, and regularity, but I don't think it's a bad idea in essence.

We followed a red Transit van into Douglas from Ballacraine on Monday just gone, it was a shed, burning oil with smoke bellowing from it, no indicators, back bumper hanging off, rusted away at the back, no wing mirror inserts to see who was behind, it was a accident waiting to happen.

Now our conversation was, what if that freakin shed had to stop in a hurry cos a kid ran across the road?? We all know the answer to that!!! FFS total devastation!!!

Road worthiness checks should happen if this red Transit van of a shit heap is still on our roads!!

Not necessary. There are sufficient laws in being to take unroadworthy vehicles out of use and prosecute the keepers. If we can see the wrecks then so can the police. If it is done, it is simply being done as a money making exercise to perpetuate govenment excess like so many other catch penny wheezes imported from the UK. Watch out for on street parking charges and speed cameras coming soon. Local government reorganisation is also being dusted down where beefed up local authorities will have government functions hived off to them and we will pay for it in increased rates.

We followed a red Transit van into Douglas from Ballacraine on Monday just gone, it was a shed, burning oil with smoke bellowing from it, no indicators, back bumper hanging off, rusted away at the back, no wing mirror inserts to see who was behind, it was a accident waiting to happen.

Now our conversation was, what if that freakin shed had to stop in a hurry cos a kid ran across the road?? We all know the answer to that!!! FFS total devastation!!!

Road worthiness checks should happen if this red Transit van of a shit heap is still on our roads!!

probably the same thing that would happen if a brand new van had a kid run out in front of it.

An MOT every two years would soon get rid of some of the crap off the roads. MOT's for humans and we can get rid of PL. Every cloud an all

If the idea behind MOT tests is to remove defective vehicles from our roads, all well and good. However, only a very small percentage of accidents are caused by mechanical defects whilst nearly all the rest are caused by driver error. On that basis it would make more sense to re-test drivers every few years rather than vehicles - and it would have the added bonus of cutting down on traffic congestion since many drivers wouldn't even meet basic standards. Start with everyone over 50 and re-test every ten years. I'll volunteer to take the first test. The Isle of Man could lead the way in this new Road Safety initiative rather than just following everything the UK (and EU) does by introducing MOT tests. NB: MOT's were first introduced in the UK as a 'ten-year test' in 1960 so we are a little behind the times with that one!

On that basis it would make more sense to re-test drivers every few years rather than vehicles - and it would have the added bonus of cutting down on traffic congestion since many drivers wouldn't even meet basic standards.

Super idea, it could have a real impact on accident rates by improving driver education and skills.

And it would have the knock-on effect of justifying an increase in the amount of derestricted roads, rather than the current proliferation of speed limits!

If the idea behind MOT tests is to remove defective vehicles from our roads, all well and good. However, only a very small percentage of accidents are caused by mechanical defects whilst nearly all the rest are caused by driver error. On that basis it would make more sense to re-test drivers every few years rather than vehicles - and it would have the added bonus of cutting down on traffic congestion since many drivers wouldn't even meet basic standards. Start with everyone over 50 and re-test every ten years. I'll volunteer to take the first test. The Isle of Man could lead the way in this new Road Safety initiative rather than just following everything the UK (and EU) does by introducing MOT tests. NB: MOT's were first introduced in the UK as a 'ten-year test' in 1960 so we are a little behind the times with that one!

So, we have detailed information that it's Isle of Man drivers over 50 that cause most accidents? Source please.

I would be very surprised if the source of most accidents were ill-maintained vehicles.

I would also be surprised if most accidents were caused by drivers over 50.

Most accidents, I believe, are caused by inexperienced or inattentive or unintelligent motorists, or bad road conditions.

It's time to make the advanced driving techniques the benchmark for passing a driving test. I believe this would save many lives and reduce accidents. Putting another burden on the poor motorist won't be a cure-all for bad driving.

Anyway, if they want us to keep our cars in better condition, mend the damned roads!

The point I was trying to make Jim is that if this shed is in such a unroadworthy state, my betting is that the brakes would be similar!!

Simples really

probably the same thing that would happen if a brand new van had a kid run out in front of it.

So, we have detailed information that it's Isle of Man drivers over 50 that cause most accidents? Source please.

I would be very surprised if the source of most accidents were ill-maintained vehicles.

I would also be surprised if most accidents were caused by drivers over 50.

Most accidents, I believe, are caused by inexperienced or inattentive or unintelligent motorists, or bad road conditions.

It's time to make the advanced driving techniques the benchmark for passing a driving test. I believe this would save many lives and reduce accidents. Putting another burden on the poor motorist won't be a cure-all for bad driving.

Anyway, if they want us to keep our cars in better condition, mend the damned roads!

Stats are something that the Road Safety Dept supposedly do and I believe that the Police Stats and Road Safety Departments Stats are an absolute joke i.e. they don't talk to each other and the stats don't marry up.

So if you are looking for hard statistical info, forget it!!!!!!

LS

I would agree that there appears to be little evidence that the prime cause of incidents is vehicle condition, however I would like to see many more RANDOM, roadside checks, much better, in my opinion than MOTs and it would mean that there were no vested interest costs and because you wouldn't know when the vehicle was going to be checked it would be in your interest to keep all the basics in proper condition all the while.

I would suggest the basic checks are lights, bodywork, seatbelts, steering play, handbrake and visual of the underside. Option of repair and visit to test station within week or vehicle off road and scrapped.

I expect 'they' will be more interested in the number plate conforming to regulations and whether the car is polished or not !!

Cretney's just looking for new ways to pay his bus drivers and baggage handlers.

What the man said.......

This is only the start. Our esteemed Govt will by now have a long list of new stealth (and non-stealth) taxes lined up to selectively draw on and implement in order to try and make up the VAT shortfall. And why....?

a) Because they're unwilling or incapable of making any cuts to their own bloated ranks

b) Ultimately so a small number of HNWI individuals (whose contribution to the island apparently cannot be quantified) can continue to pay a lot less tax than they probably should.

Tynwald, by dint of having its strings pulled by the CS ('cos it's that way round), will bleed Joe Public white in the next 4 years to try and sustain the unsustainable. How long it continues for is up to the people.

Archived