Should Public Housing Change

Addie

Pretty radical ideas?

Item pasted from IOMToday

A document outlining proposed changes to the administration of local authority housing in the south has been criticsed by Port Erin commissioner Phil Crellin.

Castletown commissioners’ chairman Kevin Weir drew up a document that was discussed at a meeting of local authorities in the south, on August 2.

Recommendations include: forming a new board in the south of all housing authorities; means-testing those on the waiting list; requiring proof of need and earnings of those on the list (and removal if they exceed a set level); rents based on earnings; interviews of all tenants (to explain the agreement and consequences of breaching that agreement); first time tenants have a one-year probationary tenancy extended to five years; and those over 50 (unable to get a mortgage) would have an open tenancy.

‘We need to weed out and educate [the minority of bad tenants],’ Mr Weir wrote, ‘making sure they know whatever the problems they are causing will be dealt with.’ He added that laws should be strengthened to support local authorities dealing with the ‘blatant disregard’ of the tenancy agreement.

Mr Crellin said: ‘Housing is very dear to my heart, it’s something central government, local authorities and the department should be very proud of. Our provision is second to none.

‘Mr Weir had some points, but pre-allocation interviews? If you say you are not acceptable, go to the bottom of the list, who is it for me to say who is acceptable?

‘This is people’s lives, hopes and aspirations, to say: “weed out”, I did not read any further. It’s people, not cushag.’

Tony Wright said: ‘There are people who need social housing at the beginning, then things improve and they could move out. People think the house is theirs in perpetuity and it can be handed down to their children. It [the house] is ours, not theirs.’

Apologies if this has been posted before.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems pretty sensible to me, my only comment is that it should apply across the island, not just the south. All subsidies need to be targetted to those who need them, and public housing is, despite numerous arguments on here, a form of subsidy.

Reform is long overdue. Those who are need of help and support should get it; those who don't or no longer need it should be forced, kicking and screaming if neccessary, to come and join the rest of us in the real world. As was noted, it is 'our' housing. The list of sacred institutions that need reform is growing by the day - buses, airport, local government, housing but few if any of the the parish council appear to be doing anything about it apart from in areas where their precious sinecures are not threatened eg education support; not many votes to lose there.

I'm all for a Housing reform, they way it is atm is pretty much a shambles. However i feel it should be done for fairness and suitable for Public Housing sector and not to subdue issues involving rants from the Private sector.

To start with the rents in the Private sector, i fell, are to high. But they are set by Estate Agents or Management firms, there must be more Estate agents per head in the Island than anywhere in GB. They all want their pound of flesh and the Government gets their tax. Housing Reform should work both ways. An example of this is a situation known to me where the Dept of Social Services pay the owner of a house £200 per week rent due to the person renting being on benefits. The person was on benefits before even moving into the house. The rent then pays the mortgage whilst the Landlord spends most of the year in Thailand. Nice little earner.

Mr Wright has a point but does not go far enough as his point is one sided.

Tony Wright said: ‘There are people who need social housing at the beginning, then things improve and they could move out. People think the house is theirs in perpetuity and it can be handed down to their children. It [the house] is ours, not theirs.’

I know of many couples who have grown children who have grown up and moved out. The couples are quite happy to move to a smaller house but they is no smaller houses vacant to move into.

So, i think it should work both ways and not primarily, it seems, to make money from an easy target.

Let's remember, as in most things in life, it's ussally the minority who take the piss.

I too believe that there should be an all island approach to the best use of social housing.

Celt says "I know of many couples who have grown children who have grown up and moved out. The couples are quite happy to move to a smaller house but they is no smaller houses vacant to move into.".

This may be the clue that people do expect to be housed throughout their lives? In the public sector, many people may have to adjust their housing requirements and move on/out for various reasons over a lifetime. Why should people in public sector housing be any different?

I suspect that the new public sector houses are far superior to first time buyer builds, and this seems a little unfair to those striving to own their own home.

I'm still reeling from the £10k new kitchens in Anaghcoar. My mate has just got a new house in Pully, way nice house. I have to admit to being a bit jealous, my house is a bit falling down around my ears at the moment, I wish I could go and cry at someone and they'd fix the whole lot for me without me having to worry about where the cash was coming from, ah yes, a bit jealous but I'll get over it when our mortgage is finished and we're ....getting shipped into the same old peoples home as her having been forced to sell our house to pay for it, ahhh but I've my pride .....yeah whatever.

This may be the clue that people do expect to be housed throughout their lives? In the public sector, many people may have to adjust their housing requirements and move on/out for various reasons over a lifetime. Why should people in public sector housing be any different?

The point is was trying to make, not very well i admit, is that the housing stock is very unbalanced towards family sized property. Smaller 1 to 2 bedroomed property is rarley available, until someone dies or are moved to an Elderly Home.

On one side you have a couple who own their home, raise their kids, the kids leave home, they can down-size and either reduced mortage payments or pay it off.

On the other side, you have a couple who have raised their kids, the kids leave home, they now have more ready money but as they're, say 50 plus, cannot get a mortage. They are happy to down-size to free up a larger house but there are none available.

So you could Means Test the second couple and increase their rent inline with the Private sector, but then you're just feeding the beast which keeps the private sector high or you could just kick them out?

I personally think that the Private sector rents should be looked at and regulated first, but that seems to be the " Sacred Cow " here not the public ones. That way it would allow people who are paying in rent, the same or more than they would for a mortage, to pay less for rent and therefore be able to save for a Deposit. Imo, the high rents in the private sector is the biggest contributing factor in stopping people getting on the property ladder.

I suspect that the new public sector houses are far superior to first time buyer builds, and this seems a little unfair to those striving to own their own home.

I totally agree, i think it's very unfair, however i look at that and see that again Estate Agents are involved and want to get the best price. Public houses are not build to sell on at a profit, so the total allocated cost goes into the property and is usually properly quality controlled. Private sector housing employ their own quality control, nuff said :P

I think some sort of Rental Charter, or something like that, should be set down to regulate all rents for housing, both public and private. But this should be done by people who have no interest in profit margins but in fairness, intitlement and situation and not just to fill Landlord and Estate Agents pockets or to replenish the depleting coffers.

I'm still reeling from the £10k new kitchens in Anaghcoar. My mate has just got a new house in Pully, way nice house. I have to admit to being a bit jealous, my house is a bit falling down around my ears at the moment, I wish I could go and cry at someone and they'd fix the whole lot for me without me having to worry about where the cash was coming from, ah yes, a bit jealous but I'll get over it when our mortgage is finished and we're ....getting shipped into the same old peoples home as her having been forced to sell our house to pay for it, ahhh but I've my pride .....yeah whatever.

You don't, you sign it over to your kids before you fall to bit's :D

Archived