Manx Radio And The Interlopers

woolley

Tynwald is told that no decisions will be made about the future of MR's subvention until alternative proposals from another broadcaster are examined. Is this entrepreneurial innovation or opportunism by an impertinent upstart?

Government really does need to make its mind up what it wants from MR as it seems to move the goalposts at regular intervals. In view of what has gone before you can understand the "coal face" staff there being dismayed at the same time as having to keep up a smiley face to the listener.

As Energy and 3FM have already combined parts of their operations notably sales, could further consolidation lead to advertisers being faced with a broadcasting monopoly at least on sales and rates?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tynwald is told that no decisions will be made about the future of MR's subvention until alternative proposals from another broadcaster are examined. Is this entrepreneurial innovation or opportunism by an impertinent upstart?

Opportunism? Upstart? Do say who you have in mind...

As Energy and 3FM have already combined parts of their operations notably sales, could further consolidation lead to advertisers being faced with a broadcasting monopoly at least on sales and rates?

There wasn't a problem with MR having a monopoly before Energy and 3FM came long was there? No, didn't think so.

The only problem is that 70,000 people is not a big enough market to support 3 radio stations even when one of them has a million-pound subsidy (how CAN they not dominate the market with that kind of a head-start? Anyway.) and something has to give.

Tynwald will have to decide whether to spend your money on keeping MR going as it is, or spend the million on something useful, like a nice new roundabout.

They should all move down to the Villa complex and create a Manx media hub

I foresee a political crisis if Tynwald attempts to do away with Manx 'cultural' programming

Are you really serious, a 'Manx Media Hub' ? Have you checked the news out lately.? Without Government and Court news it barley exists. This is a little Island of around 80,000 souls, depending who you listen to. You , our ' high flyers' and Government need a reality check.

Come down to earth. No matter how you inflate your own egos, we are still in deep trouble. Depending on what Mr Bells frame of mind is on any given day.

Opportunism? Upstart? Do say who you have in mind...

Selective quoting JR. Maybe it is entrepreneurial innovation as I originally posted. I don't think we've been told "who" have we? Although we know that 3FM and Energy are "working together". We also know that 3FM invited Manx Radio to discuss "working together". It would be good if the proposals could be published so that the wider audience/taxpaper could give their views.

Hmmm, to save a few quid, could this mean the end of Manx Radio? Could it be about friends/approaches from the other station(s)?

I mean with friends awarded contracts to aid run radio stations (getting a much smaller subsidy for guaranteeing doing some Manx programmes), commercial friends would never attack the hand that feeds it would they?

Then there's all that yummy MR real estate to sell off? Plus the name 'MR' itself. What's in a name? Outsourcing?

Who was the Manx Radio presenter that has obviously rattled Mr Haughton's cage over alleged comments about MHK's putting their sandals away after their Summer recess!

Jeepers he was fuming on the debate (non debate) about one of the presenters!

Sounds as if whoever it was has just scored on own goal!

Eeeek!!!!!

They should all move down to the Villa complex and create a Manx media hub

I foresee a political crisis if Tynwald attempts to do away with Manx 'cultural' programming

Are you really serious, a 'Manx Media Hub' ? Have you checked the news out lately.? Without Government and Court news it barley exists. This is a little Island of around 80,000 souls, depending who you listen to. You , our ' high flyers' and Government need a reality check.

Come down to earth. No matter how you inflate your own egos, we are still in deep trouble. Depending on what Mr Bells frame of mind is on any given day.

I disown you

You're mental

Manx Radio has shown its true colours at last with the incredulity its announcer expressed today at the appointment of Ron Berry to this project. They could hardly hide their contempt at the decision. It sounded arrogant and aloof and to me justified exactly why Ron is probably the best man for the job. MR simply came across as spoilt truculent children throwing their toys out of the cot because they dont like whats coming. A very poor show and very poor broadcasting impartiality and justification alone to bin its subvention and tell it to STFU.

Archived