Manx Radio And The Interlopers

woolley

Manx Radio is only something I ever listen to when I happen to be driving and the pips go for the news on Radio 4, I switch channels and listen to the local news then as soon as they start the International news I switch back. I have talked to a few of my colleagues about their listening habits and they do much the same. Point I am making is there is little need for a local station above the news.

Young listeners are better catered for by the likes of Radio 1, old-timers like myself Radio 2 and 4, real old timers! Radio 3. The BBC has it covered really, the 1million given to MR is not justified any more, in the recent past when we had spare money, yes its a nice thing to have but in todays financial climate it is a very expensive never ending drain on our taxes.

I feel bad for the staff up there, they did not know when they were building their little empire that the money it was built on would:

• a) Stop suddenly, this is the most likely outcome, especially after ABs recent statement.
  • b) The money that was available was only there because we had been fiddling the books.

Withdraw the subsidy with a years notice, cover the redundancy payments to the staff and let the private sector company's fund themselves from advertising. MR could still be a going concern if it downsized and competed with the others, its TT stuff and back catalog gives it hours of broadcasting.

This is just too much to expect us to pay for when we are having everything else cut back, taxes rising along with benefit cuts, child allowance cuts and likely public housing massive rent increases.

MR is something that was just nice to have, it is a long way from being an essential service and as AB said it needs to get its head around that, quickly.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manx Radio is only something I ever listen to when I happen to be driving and the pips go for the news on Radio 4, I switch channels and listen to the local news then as soon as they start the International news I switch back. I have talked to a few of my colleagues about their listening habits and they do much the same. Point I am making is there is little need for a local station above the news.

Young listeners are better catered for by the likes of Radio 1, old-timers like myself Radio 2 and 4, real old timers! Radio 3. The BBC has it covered really, the 1million given to MR is not justified any more, in the recent past when we had spare money, yes its a nice thing to have but in todays financial climate it is a very expensive never ending drain on our taxes.

I feel bad for the staff up there, they did not know when they were building their little empire that the money it was built on would:

• a) Stop suddenly, this is the most likely outcome, especially after ABs recent statement.
  • b) The money that was available was only there because we had been fiddling the books.

Withdraw the subsidy with a years notice, cover the redundancy payments to the staff and let the private sector company's fund themselves from advertising. MR could still be a going concern if it downsized and competed with the others, its TT stuff and back catalog gives it hours of broadcasting.

This is just too much to expect us to pay for when we are having everything else cut back, taxes rising along with benefit cuts, child allowance cuts and likely public housing massive rent increases.

MR is something that was just nice to have, it is a long way from being an essential service and as AB said it needs to get its head around that, quickly.

As you ONLY listen to the local news on it - what the fuck makes you think you're qualified to comment on the rest of its output?

As you ONLY listen to the local news on it - what the fuck makes you think you're qualified to comment on the rest of its output?

Because like everyone else, including people who dont listen to it at all, I pay tax, that is why...............................................

What does Alex Brindley sing every day,maybe someone could sing it to him.Goodbye,goodbye,wipe you tear baby dear from your eye.Anything that will stop John Kennaugh getting air time is fine by me.

But...................there seems to be so much indecision about MR. Big increase in subvention a few years ago followed by cuts to the extent that the more important staff i.e. those who are the face of MR to the public have all lost their jobs and are now freelance. I am sure they thought that they had done their share of cuts and now it's all in the melting pot yet again. Perhaps MR management and admin budgets should be looked at once more, but I'll bet there is far more blatant waste elsewhere in government that would make the subvention look like chickenfeed and that hasn't been looked at even once yet.

Perhaps MR management and admin budgets should be looked at once more, but I'll bet there is far more blatant waste elsewhere in government that would make the subvention look like chickenfeed and that hasn't been looked at even once yet.

I would imagine the the MR management structure and renumeration packages are similar to the public sector, they would be wouldn't they, because they get "free" money like the government departments.

That empire building worked in the good times but now it is a luxury we cant afford.

I also agree that there is likely to be far more wasteful spending, in government departments but that is not so obvious. Like the MEA shops that they finally shut, the public know what this is costing and are rightly so, not pleased.

But...................there seems to be so much indecision about MR. Big increase in subvention a few years ago followed by cuts to the extent that the more important staff i.e. those who are the face of MR to the public have all lost their jobs and are now freelance. I am sure they thought that they had done their share of cuts and now it's all in the melting pot yet again. Perhaps MR management and admin budgets should be looked at once more, but I'll bet there is far more blatant waste elsewhere in government that would make the subvention look like chickenfeed and that hasn't been looked at even once yet.

You would be hard pushed to find a more superfluous service on which to spend £1m of our cash. Get rid - the attitude of MR this morning was cynical and disgusting and certainly proved it is incapable of impartial reporting regarding anything it does not agree with. A truly pathetic display of childishness and sour grapes.

You would be hard pushed to find a more superfluous service on which to spend £1m of our cash. Get rid - the attitude of MR this morning was cynical and disgusting and certainly proved it is incapable of impartial reporting regarding anything it does not agree with. A truly pathetic display of childishness and sour grapes.

Is there any way of linking to that broadcast? I would like to hear it myself.

I heard John 'High-Horse' Houghton on Manx Radio this morning calling Mossy arrogant for his suggestion that the MHK's are stowing their sandals for the season and returning to the fray. Has Houghton had his sense of humour surgically removed through his ass or what ?

A sense of humour implies some modicum of intelligence - this is Houghton you're talking about.

I heard John 'High-Horse' Houghton on Manx Radio this morning calling Mossy arrogant for his suggestion that the MHK's are stowing their sandals for the season and returning to the fray. Has Houghton had his sense of humour surgically removed through his ass or what ?

Johnny Moss extracting the urine, he may have scored the biggest own goal against MR as he sure upset Haughton!

Johnston Press are going to join the game at some point, and very probably MT & Sure (if they survive)

JP have just asset-stripped IoM Newspapers by selling the Peel Road offices, do you think they can sell anything else before they leave ?

Well it was stripped of its intellectual assets in about 1985.

Archived