Manx Radio And The Interlopers

woolley

Seriously - Why does it cost more to produce the [Mostly recorded], Public Service programmes...

Just a guess, but I think it may have something to do with having to research stuff, write stuff, go out interviewing, editing etc. rather than just plonking a Carpenters CD in the disk drive.

But that's just a guess mind.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my 'mate' is probably a proponent of the fully-funded model, although since we don't have anything to do with each other outside work I don't know.

Doesn't it strike anyone else that at a time our government is facing its biggest challenge in a generation, it is fiddling around with the purpose and funding of Manx Radio again? How many reports does it take to get the message home to politicians that by all reasonable standards (many set by those same politicians), MR has continued to do the job it has always done, for a (shrinking) fraction of the 'going' rate, and it's just them who are moving the goalposts again and talking themselves round in circles?

From what I can gather MR's board has told IOMG that if they want to keep cutting funding, that's understandable but something has to give, so decide what. Of course, nobody wants their fingerprints on cuts that some people won't like - so instead they're huffing and puffing and looking at an option which frankly shouldn't even be considered (in my humble if biased opinion) because it comes from someone who has everything to gain and nothing to lose from any changes. Anyway, wasn't IOMG planning to spend hundreds of thousands having online videos made - maybe that's what the subvention is earmarked for in future.

To Woolley's serious point, I doubt there's room at Broadcasting House for additional studios. I think a similar BBC LR station would have a budget of c.£4m pa (and still take network feeds and news to sustain the output). The other thought though is why SHOULD MR relinquish commercial income in favour of two competitors who have set up in an established market and failed to dominate it? Has either made much of a real difference? I sometimes listen to 3FM (usually when George is on) and think it's a good option for people who want 'just' music, but I gave up on Energy a long time ago.

A master stroke would be if IOMG can convince the BBC it doesn't deserve any income from the Isle of Man and that we're going to issue a Manx Broadcasting Licence instead in future to share between those who provide an actual public service - and I'd probably include Paul Moulton and TVIM/Greenlight in that. But MR's death by a thousand cuts is NOT the next best thing.

I totally agree Stu

the government wouldn't have brought Tours coaches in with the bus company, so why does it have any responsibility to any other private company (feeling the pinch) in any other field of business (does anyone in government have any connection with these companies ? ermm.gif )

I certainly don't want my taxes using to help prop up failing private enterprises

Radical plan to link all three radio stations in Isle of Man

By Adrian Darbyshire

Published on Tuesday 23 October 2012 11:45

A MAJOR shake-up of public service broadcasting in the island is being considered.

Under proposals being examined by the Department of Economic Development, Manx Radio, Energy FM and 3FM could all operate under one roof at Broadcasting House.

Instead of being used to fund programming, the government subvention – cut this year to £850,000 – would be used to provide the infrastructure, essentially the accommodation, for all three stations.

Such a sharing arrangement would have a major impact on Manx Radio and could lead to significant job losses.

A Tynwald debate on the future of the broadcasting was adjourned until December after it emerged that the new report had been presented to DED.

But Chief Minister Allan Bell, who called for the adjournment to allow for a ‘more informed debate’, was quite clear that funding could not be ring-fenced for Manx Radio.

He told Tynwald: ‘I want to make it very clear to this court and to the directors of Manx Radio there is no ring fencing in the present economic climate. Manx Radio will not be considered a special case and will have to argue its case for funding alongside every other because the same arguments put forward today could be put forward for social care, for housing and for every other service provided right across government.

‘I think the directors of Manx Radio have to get it on board we are living in very different times.’

3FM managing director Ron Berry confirmed that he presented the 100-page discussion document to DED and to the board of Manx Radio – but he declined to give details of his proposals.

He told the Examiner: ‘I can confirm I have put a discussion document together that has been presented to the Department of Economic Development and had also been shared with the board of Manx Radio.

‘At this stage it would not be appropriate to reveal its contents to the media as I would want to respect the wishes of Tynwald.’

Laurence Skelly MHK, member for DED, said: ‘It was appropriate for Tynwald to put back this debate so we can have an opportunity to review these options.’

Anthony Pugh, managing director of Manx Radio, said: ‘Manx Radio has by far the largest audience of any radio station in the island. Any new funding mechanism should ensure the needs of the audience are met and it’s for the benefit of the taxpayers of the island.

‘The board of Manx Radio are acutely aware of the financial situation of the island. It’s incumbent on the board to draw to the government’s attention the impact of recent funding reductions and the consequently impact they are likely to have on Manx Radio.’

But he said it was ultimately for Tynwald to decide the level of funding.

The government subsidy to the station was reduced in this year’s Budget from £927,000 to £850,000 – made up of a Treasury subvention of about £710,000 plus £140,000 from the refund of BBC licence fee money.

Manx Radio bosses say the cuts leave the station around £300,000 short of where it would be had government adhered to the funding formula approved by Tynwald in 2006.

A Treasury report into the public broadcasting subvention concludes that cuts in government subvention would start to impact upon the quality of Manx Radio’s output. Presenters have already been placed on freelance contracts and the number of news staff will have been cut from nine to seven this year.

In his motion to last week’s Tynwald, Speaker Steve Rodan called on the court to reaffirms its commitment to public service broadcasting in the island and to endorse Manx Radio as the island’s national broadcaster. It was the debate on that motion that was adjourned until December.

In Tynwald, Howard Quayle MHK (Middle) asked how the report presented to DED could be independent if it was from a competitor of Manx Radio. He said he was happy for the debate to be adjourned if the court was to get independent advice but not that from a vested interest.

Mr Rodan said: ‘The role of public service broadcasting is very important. If there are more effective and efficient ways it can be delivered then we have a duty to look at them.

‘We will look at any constructive proposal to see whether they meet the test of real public service broadcasting that is independent from government and is efficient from the point of view of the taxpayer.

‘In my opinion a taxpayers’ subvention is there to guarantee reporting, speech programming and elements of broadcasting which would otherwise not be commercially viable.’

Ron Berry. I suspected so all along.

Sorry, but I don't want a single penny of my hard-earned going to support him or any other commercial venture thanks. State handouts are not for him IMO. If his business model has not succeeded in the form he took it on, that's his lookout.

A question. If, say for arguments sake, a business model has failed, can broadcasting licences be recinded by the issuing authority if they are financially unviable?

Bit of a cheeky bid from the 'commercial' stations IMHO

1) Quoting the entire text is a breach of the T&C of using IOMToday's website.

2) Cheeky or wise - either way a rethink of the Island's broadcasting is overdue.

Sorry, but I don't want a single penny of my hard-earned going to support him or any other commercial venture thanks. State handouts are not for him IMO. If his business model has not succeeded in the form he took it on, that's his lookout.

A question. If, say for arguments sake, a business model has failed, can broadcasting licences be recinded by the issuing authority if they are financially unviable?

If a radio station was unviable it would normally run out of money and cease broadcasting well before the sclerotic licensing authorities got around to thinking about revoking the licence so that doesn't normally arise.

Seriously - Why does it cost more to produce the [Mostly recorded], Public Service programmes...

Just a guess, but I think it may have something to do with having to research stuff, write stuff, go out interviewing, editing etc. rather than just plonking a Carpenters CD in the disk drive.

But that's just a guess mind.

I thought there were about 9 staff in the News Section at Manx radio, is that not enough, when as I say nearly all the News is Political or from the Courts. Mabye that fascinates you but personally I would rather listen to a Carpenters LP, and why the attitude, it was a genuine question.

The same Ron Berry who was in the employ of DED until fairly recently.

So to clarify - we have a report by the MD of a commercial radio station, which is now involved in a 'strategic partnership' with the other commercial station, presented to the Government Department in which he worked until a few months ago and this report is suggesting that his private Company benefits from a form of Government subsidy (indirectly maybe, but all the same).

Is that broadly correct? If so, why is it even getting the time of day.

I expect Eddie Teare is undertaking due diligence as we speak.

So to clarify - we have a report by the MD of a commercial radio station, which is now involved in a 'strategic partnership' with the other commercial station, presented to the Government Department in which he worked until a few months ago and this report is suggesting that his private Company benefits from a form of Government subsidy (indirectly maybe, but all the same).

Is that broadly correct? If so, why is it even getting the time of day.

Well I'm sure it has nothing to do with his previous contacts at the DED, a department that hates giving away taxpayers' money to half-cocked private enterprise schemes, and certainly nothing to do with the fact that the other radio station has a Director and presenter (and owner?) who is a member of the government.

Archived