Manx Radio And The Interlopers

woolley

Johnston Press are going to join the game at some point, and very probably MT & Sure (if they survive)

JP have just asset-stripped IoM Newspapers by selling the Peel Road offices, do you think they can sell anything else before they leave ?

Printing press?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that an informed opinion?

Yes. The sum paid for a performing rights licence is relative to the audience size of the licencee, not the type of music they play. I suppose it's possible that if Manx Radio played nothing but local artists nobody would listen, but that wouldn't make economic sense. But then neither does giving advertising away for free so MR might just go for it.

gobsmacked at the headlines in the paper today, crazy isn't in it !

We have MR on from early morning until mid afternoon, I think I can honestly say I have not managed more than 20 minutes on either of the other stations before kicking them into the long grass for good, just bland joss-dicky (automated) wallpaper.

How can anyone even consider combining all the stations is incredible (but maybe it's MHKs, that would explain it !), all the jocks who were turfed out of MR in the past, or thought they were too good for the place and left to try and and make the big time, would surely not want to be associated with MR again (nor would I listen to any of them again) - it's just the free money from Government they are after, but have they not heard, the coffers are skint so there's no golden egg :(

#there'salwaysradio2 :lol:

I wouldn't be against it, particularly if they moved the whole lot into the Villa complex to breathe a bit of life into the place

MR could play a few oldies along with a lot of talk

Presumably 3FM could be like a radio2 + for aging rockers in the baby boomer set

EnergyFM for generation X?

I've no idea really

ps. The word for today is 'cauliflower'

I went to the shop this morning, I was about to buy the Examiner....85p? Are you having a laugh? Pffft, I certainly didn't buy it, I'm sure it was only 62p the other week. Anyway I noticed that the 3 radios will join or something, thats rubbish, they need to keep Manx Radio away from all that junk radio and have it for information should there be a war or what have you.

is an ace song - love it. Word and song of the day :)

Simple one this...lets have a 'user agreement' style position. We'll have one radio station which, in return for broadcasting certain content (minority interest, religious, Tynwald or whatever shit they think is important), gets a monopoly. There is no subvention, but with no competitors advertising income 'should' go up.

There will be one broadcasting licence, and a multi-year agreement will give whoever wins it the confidence to invest.

There's no real harm in a radio monopoly. If they charge too much to advertise, don't advertise. If you don't like the output, tune into one of the other freely available stations from the BBC.

And you can't really complain because you aren't paying for it.

This would reduce government expenditure and guarantee a manx radio station with all the speech-based content some feel is important. Problem solved.

There is, frankly, no need for more than one station in the Island.

Archived