Next Generation Xbox Reveal

Virtual_Boy

The reveal starts tomorrow @ 6pm, have linked to some live streams below for those unable to view in their 360.

Most rumours seem to be that of a 64-bit, 8-core, 1.6GHz (x86) AMD processor, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, 800mhz DirectX 11.x GPU, HDMI in and out, 500GB SATA 2 HDD, USB 3.0 and Bluray.

What are your predictions for the new console and what would you like to see from Microsoft this time round?

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/05/08/watch-the-xbox-reveal-event-live-on-ign

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hub/reveal

http://www.nextgengamer.co.uk/blog/2013/05/Watch-the-Xbox-Reveal-Event-Live-on-IGN

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407189/xbox-720-event-watch-it-live-here/

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Announcing the new XBOX ONE

(name fail imo)

QiPDM3Z.jpg

Processor and graphics:

As rumored, a heavily customized AMD chip that combines an eight-core CPU, a GPU tailored for DirectX 11.1 graphics and 32MB of high bandwidth embedded ESRAM memory. The 28nm chip will consume around 100 watts, which is slightly higher than current Xbox Slim and PS3, but Microsoft promises noise from the cooling fans will be "four times quieter."

System memory:

A Sony-rivaling 8GB of RAM, although it'll be DDR3 instead of the PlayStation 4's GDDR5.

Audio and video:

1080p and 4K both supported; 7.1 surround sound.

Kinect:

This will be bundled with the console and contains a 250,000-pixel infrared depth sensor as well as a regular 1080p web cam.

Storage and media:

A 500GB hard drive of unknown speed plus a Blu-ray / DVD combo drive that will be used as little as possible. We're told disc-based games will be ripped to the HDD automatically.

Connectivity:

HDMI 1.4 output and passthrough; a "few" USB 3.0 ports; gigabit Ethernet; plus, three separate 802.11n radios to allow the console to communicate with its controller (over a form of WiFi Direct) as well as other devices (such as perhaps other Windows-based phones and tablets) without losing its connection to the internet. At other times, two radios could be used to maintain a stronger WiFi signal.

Even the controller has 40 new design features including an integrated battery compartment, impulse triggers, Wi-Fi Direct, and Precision Direction Pad.

Design is horrible. Name is pants, and not being allowed to sell/lend on your game unless the new buyer/lender pays a fee to play it is going to p1ss off many.

(That will be the end of lovefilm etc game renting service then)

I will probably still get one though :-\

Hardly impressive specs. +1 for Steambox.

Looks like the PS may be the better console this time. Microsoft seem more interested in making a media centre than a games console

Yeah, I'm leaning more towards the ps4 this time round. Don't want a set top box that only does TV in the USA, want a GAMES console.

Yep. It definitely seems very USA centric. I just can't see sky bringing out a box that works with the Xbox anytime soon either so all the tv stuff is pointless and that was the majority of the announcement.

Oh and the second hand fee has been confirmed as full price!!!! Wtf.

I am also leaning towards ps4 but want to know more about their live alternative cus on ps3 it is dogsh1t.

Pretty disappointing all round.

Steam box is surely going to be a crap load of dosh?

Steam box is surely going to be a crap load of dosh?

Why? It's like the Kindle, they'll sell it almost as a loss leader as it's a front to their store. It's even possible they may package up a "SteamOS" and let you install it on your own spec of PC.

With six Steam accounts in this house, the smallest being about 15 games and the largest over 200, it's a complete no brainer for us. We have a dusty 720 that never gets used with a handful of physical games and a few games on Live, but seeing as none of them will work on the One, anyone starting with the next gen of consoles will have no library. With a SteamBox, we all have access to our own games, whichever PC we log into.

We already kind of have a SteamBox as we installed Steam on the little Acer Revo I use as a media PC running XBMC. Means I can hop on, log into my steam account and play Trackmania on the telly with the kids. Give me a dedicated little box to do that and I'm all in with Steam.

The Verge has a good piece today on why the Xbox One TV stuff is a terrible idea, basically adding another layer on top of a PVR simply doesn't work:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352710/live-tv-on-the-xbox-one-microsoft-didnt-learn-from-google-tv

Why? It's like the Kindle, they'll sell it almost as a loss leader as it's a front to their store. It's even possible they may package up a "SteamOS" and let you install it on your own spec of PC.

A steambox could work, but they'll have to make a choice between more curation of the library vs a broader 'console style' user appeal. I don't think steam is currently ready for the mainstream in the way the 360 or Playstation or even the app stores on tablets are. It has made pc gaming easier, but it's still a far more open platform and that makes it more confusing for most people. The variety of hardware's also going to be a problem, will people understand that Crysis 5 won't work on their steambox when it's visible on the steam store?

Yep games are paramount and with MS having 15 year one exclusives, including 8 new ips I'm interested. Also the Playstation controller hurts my hands.

I don't really see the issue with the TV stuff, just don't use it and then you just have a games console its the way I use the 360.

I suppose it depends what they can use it for in game really, knowing everyone has one makes for more incentive for developers to add the features.

Like a horror game that knows how scared you are, and can tailor the experience to ramp up the tension rather than relying on jump scares.

Although if its used as a shaving simulator like the Six Axis was then its a wasteful crappy gimmick.

Archived