£50 Sewerage Charge

Bradzin

• 3 weeks later...

There is no real option but to pay the toilet tax or loose the discount etc so I have decided as I posted previously to pay in small instalments prior to 30th June just to add very slightly to Govts admin costs.

I do not want to incur charges or particularly waste time so if ever in a post office I will over a few pence, equally if I am going past Illiam Dhone House on foot will drop off a small cheque. Most though I will pay on line using credit card at 20p a go as I have checked today and the amount goes through but it is small enough that the 2% credit charge does not kick in. Probably pointless but at least might very slightly irritate Govt and if I could get loads to follow suit it might be a protest that Govt notice but ignore

• Like 1

It is pointless and infantile I admit but it is the only thing I can think of as a way to continue to protest which will not inconvenience me, but might IoM Govt ever so slightly. Not paying is not really an option and I do not want to just meekly and accept either.

Edited by Lost Login
  • Like 1

I suggested that earlier in the thread. Ans shot me down over the fact that ultimately it is tax payers who foot the bill for banking and admin charges etc. The point of it wasn't that, it was the sheer hassle and inconvenience of it. Good on you LL.

• Like 1

Is your discount greater than the £50 charge? Surely better to deduct the fifty quid, it will be years before they threaten legal action and then you can pay the charge at small amounts to cause max agro?

Interesting legal point here.

If the Toilet Tax is not part of the rates, does that mean you are entitled to the discount on the rates EVEN if you do not pay the Tax???

If enough people did not pay the Tax part, then they will be short on their projected two mil quid take, this could ensure that they really do make an effort next year, when the charge will be £100, to introduce a fairer system of charging or even, have rethink on a separate charge for loos?

Chris Thomas believes it to be unfair that Manx Utilities Authority should be the party to decide on appeals against the sewerage charge.

From Manx Radio news: (Also listen to the audio clip)

Toilet tax appeal process questionable says MHK
Published online at 14/05/2014 06:35:00
107777-1.JPG

Appeals against the controversial toilet tax will be considered later this month.

The Manx Utilities Authority will hear from those who have officially opposed the flat £50 per household charge, which became law last month.

West Douglas MHK Chris Thomas opposed the charge and says he’s encouraged an internal appeals process is in place.

But he’s not sure if the MUA should be ruling on the matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Public appeals against the new sewerage charge will be considered by the board of the Manx Utilities Authority today (23 May). The so-called toilet tax, a flat £50-per-household charge, caused controversy when it became law at the start of April. West Douglas member Chris Thomas, one of the MHKs who opposed its introduction, is encouraged there will be an appeals process but has questioned its impartiality:

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=71204