£50 Sewerage Charge

Bradzin

Do you realize that water is pumped from Sulby, all the way over the hills to Douglas?

Primarily downhill that one, GD.

Don't you need a pump to get it up first?

Mass x height x price per unit (or something) or are they using that Archimedes principle thingy-wotsit?

Apologies in advance if I've misunderstood but the way this reads is that people who use septic tanks or sewage treatment plants used to get a free visit to de-sludge their tanks once a year. They will now have to pay £50 for the first visit. If a tank is working properly it shouldn't need emptying more than once a year though.

People in the UK that use these tanks pay for their own de-sludging so it strikes me as being a freebie that was perhaps unsustainable. Frankly if you can get a tanker out for £50 or even £100 on the IOM then I suspect thats a lot cheaper than you'd pay in the UK.

• Like 1

Apologies in advance if I've misunderstood but the way this reads is that people who use septic tanks or sewage treatment plants used to get a free visit to de-sludge their tanks once a year. They will now have to pay £50 for the first visit. If a tank is working properly it shouldn't need emptying more than once a year though.

People in the UK that use these tanks pay for their own de-sludging so it strikes me as being a freebie that was perhaps unsustainable. Frankly if you can get a tanker out for £50 or even £100 on the IOM then I suspect thats a lot cheaper than you'd pay in the UK.

Depending on UK location £100 if you're lucky, £150+ if you're not.

Its all just tax by another name.

No it's not though. Most of these charges are paid by the householder, not the individual and they are disporportionately punished.

Just increase income tax ffs and cut costs elsewhere.

I agree that people are being disproportionally penallised.

Government cuts the budgets of departments and rather than trying to economise the costs are passed on to the people.

Its the same with local rate rises such as Onchan, central government cuts, then the commissioners just press the people for more money.

The Government deceives itself that it is saving money.

If this expenditure is needed then income tax should be raised.

Imposing these kind of charges is penalising those on fixed incomes such as pensioners and it takes up a high proportion of less well off people's income. £100 per year can easilly be absorbed by these 'hight net worth' people, but may be a struggle for someone on a minimum wage.

I suggest a boycot!!

• Like 5

Do you realize that water is pumped from Sulby, all the way over the hills to Douglas?

Primarily downhill that one, GD.

Don't you need a pump to get it up first?

Mass x height x price per unit (or something) or are they using that Archimedes principle thingy-wotsit?

They'll be using the Manx magic sloping road principle where it runs uphill all by itself.

Always puzzles me why they need all those pumping stations when there's such abundance of free energy kicking about.

I wonder if they will cut off people who don't pay.

Maybe people will use a bucket and slop out in the morning. That will confuse the dog wardens when they do their DNA testing on what they think are doggie deposits :-)

I am thinking of all the manifestoes that come out at election time. Every one of them seems to include a phrase such as " I will work tirelessly to eliminate the very real issue of dog excrement on our streets". It would be really funny if people started flytipping their shit. What would they put in their manifestoes next election, lol.

Gardyloo :-)

• Like 3

Sort the bloody rates out. If every farmhouse paid true rates, they'd get a lot more Cash in.

and every farmhouse had street lighting, tarmac to it's door, same tarmac cleaned and repaired by council and bins emptied weekly you'd have a point.

Sort the bloody rates out. If every farmhouse paid true rates, they'd get a lot more Cash in.

and every farmhouse had street lighting, tarmac to it's door, same tarmac cleaned and repaired by council and bins emptied weekly you'd have a point.

Don't confuse general rates with water rates. Water rates have no relation with street lighting or the other stuff you mention.