£50 Sewerage Charge

Bradzin

This is just another stealth tax, there will be lots more, there has to be; we do not raise enough income tax and VAT(anymore) to run the island.

We should start a thread with suggestions what will be taxed next, Albert's mention of a Window Tax could well be accurate, stranger things have and most certainly will happen over the next few years.

The trouble with this policy is that it will take money away from shops and the like, it is a vicious circle, the less disposable income people have the more likely they are to buy stuff from the interwebs and more local shops close causing more off island shopping.

I know it has always been said that they cant just raise Income Tax a there would be a mass exodus, but would there? Businesses are on 0/10 so not effected, would a 40% rate of tax for income over say 50K really mess the island up any more than all these stealth taxes?

• Like 2

This is just another stealth tax, there will be lots more, there has to be; we do not raise enough income tax and VAT(anymore) to run the island.

We should start a thread with suggestions what will be taxed next, Albert's mention of a Window Tax could well be accurate, stranger things have and most certainly will happen over the next few years.

The trouble with this policy is that it will take money away from shops and the like, it is a vicious circle, the less disposable income people have the more likely they are to buy stuff from the interwebs and more local shops close causing more off island shopping.

I know it has always been said that they cant just raise Income Tax a there would be a mass exodus, but would there? Businesses are on 0/10 so not effected, would a 40% rate of tax for income over say 50K really mess the island up any more than all these stealth taxes?

Double income tax? I think that would cause a big protest and more than a few homeless families and bankruptcies.

We have a government we cannot afford - time they got real, not us

Yes. They must have planning meetings about all of this stuff. I wonder how much of a burdern they think they can shift onto the population at a time of static incomes and rising prices before it descends into chaos.

• Like 3

Another tax cut for the rich?

Sewerage was paid by general taxation. A £50 flat charge is the equivelent to person on a yearly income of..............

£12.000 an increase of 0.4%

£30.000 '' 0.2%

£50.000 '' 0.1%

All up to our necks in it together?

• Like 1

They can absolutely fuck off. It's every fucking week there's a new charge for this, an increase in that, and almost all of it coming from the government, which is apparently skint. As 3000 ex(and somehow current) employees walk around on £1000+ per week pensions. An extra £50 this year,£100 the next. No. Not paying. Fuck off.

That's the spiritthumbsup.gif ...Now,if we can count on a few thousand more taking this stance we'll bring the buggers to heel in no time.

Sewerage was paid by general taxation. A £50 flat charge is the equivelent to person on a yearly income of..............

£30.000 '' 0.2%

£50.000 '' 0.1%

These are the type of facts and figures that our representatives need confronting with and forced to justify.

ETA:If this sort of issue really bothers any of you then don't hesitate in making them accountable to the electorate.

The much quoted slogan 'They work for you' is only meaningless if we allow it to be.

Edited by Lisenchuk

£30.000 '' 0.2%

£50.000 '' 0.1%

How is it a tax cut for anyone? It's a tax increase for everyone.

• Like 1

This equivelent tax increase is, of course, true for any and all of the 'Stealth Taxes' that are being transfered from the Govt to LAs, direct charge, rent increases etc etc.

I think the Treasury and some MHKs are well aware of this but are keeping quiet till we raise the matter.

Sorry Doc. I was refering to the rates charges for a Business, not the Scat Tax. Is there a discount if you don't flush your loo for a week?

Thought taxation was meant to be as fair as possible. How can this blanket charge be justified so that a single person on minimum wage income living in a small flat with one toilet is charged the same as a millionaire living with a large family in a house with half a dozen toliets ? Politicians need to stop taking the piss (!) with these unfair charges. £60 fines for working people parking their car on roads they have paid road tax for who are ten mins late getting back to their car coz they are working hard ? Load of bollocks....

Edited by sausage
  • Like 3

This equivelent tax increase is, of course, true for any and all of the 'Stealth Taxes' that are being transfered from the Govt to LAs, direct charge, rent increases etc etc.

I think the Treasury and some MHKs are well aware of this but are keeping quiet till we raise the matter.

Sorry Doc. I was refering to the rates charges for a Business, not the Scat Tax. Is there a discount if you don't flush your loo for a week?

I think you've coined a phrase there Kopek,I couldn't find reference to 'Scat Tax' in that context on Google so we'll have to attribute that one to youthumbsup.gif