Mea. Barclays, Wind Farm "research" Debate ...

Isle Of Man LIVE

Basically the Wind farm was about the only item in the budget which had an underspend - with the overspends in the other areas more than compensating for this saving!

How do you underspend on a wind farm? huh.png

By not building it.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the argument for windfarms may be changing !

clicky

At last, I love to be green and I love the concept of renewables but at last the sense appears to be taking hold ! Windfarms are great for the companies who make them and for the landowners who own the land they stand on, as for generation of power they are a joke !

I know, I know, I know,..........is it, because the government paid for all the research, MP made sure MEA was crippled by the loan/int debts (lent by his buddies at Barclays, I do not remember but, was he a director or something?) thus making the electric from them uneconomically viable to most of the population and then went off and made a renewable energy company of his own?

The wind farm research interests me a bit more. Thanks to those above though. That *clears* a lot up (or we, as the mug punters will do, in time) ….

Was it £10 million for researching wind farms? I thought it was for researching renewable energy. Mike Proffitt went out to Australia to look at a wave energy system there. Was it called CETO? And he subsequently set up Renewable Energy Holdings.

Windfarms are great for the companies who make them and for the landowners who own the land they stand on, as for generation of power they are a joke !

Currently providing over 7% of power, though have been up to about 18% in some recent windy periods. No one's claiming them to be the only solution - nothing is - but I do get amused by all those who blindly repeat whatever they read in the papers, usually mainly based on the fact that the editor doesn't want the view from his mansion in the country spoiled. At the same time they're gung-ho for fracking based on the belief that because it's nasty and industrial it won't happen in the areas they live in (I don't think they understand geology).

I think windfarms are an abomination. Even, or maybe particularly, the ones at sea. We are putting all the fancy marinas in at Douglas, Peel and talking about more. At the same time we are being surrounded by hundreds of those bloody things. Who is going to want to navigate through that lot to come to the Isle of Man?

The wind farm research interests me a bit more. Thanks to those above though. That *clears* a lot up (or we, as the mug punters will do, in time) ….

Was it £10 million for researching wind farms? I thought it was for researching renewable energy. Mike Proffitt went out to Australia to look at a wave energy system there. Was it called CETO? And he subsequently set up Renewable Energy Holdings.

Flew first class, with his wife.

edit - it was in the kpmg report that got printed in the examiner ages ago.

Yeaaahr which is what I did say isn it? fight.

CETO was never a part of the MEA, they (MP and the Chairman of the MEA) went to Australia because they were invited to give a talk to the World Energy Congress about the MEA's strategy. Afterwards Proffitt then stayed on to see CETO, which was then invested in by REH the company Proffitt helped to found after leaving the MEA.

Yeaaahr which is what I did say isn it? fight.

Yes it was renewable wave energy not wind farms as people have been talking about on here.

Mainly because although there are the tides it is difficult to get a "head" of energy to exploit them - you need a barrage like is being suggested on the Severn Estuary to really generate power.

We could put tidal generators like at Strangford Lough at the Sound and off Langness, but it would be small - only a few megawatts.

Archived