Manx Nostalgia

GD4ELI

There's a Ballaugh page too GD I've seen at least one piccy with your mother in it

Thanks - I took a look and saw a couple. I have pictures of her class for each year she taught at Ballaugh - 1969 to ~ 1989 (not sure). When I get moved I'll scan them in.

Different times - small classes, she would often put the entire class of 8 kids into the back of her mini-van and take them down to the beach. H&S would have kittens were someone to do that today.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know what the story is behind this -

https://m.facebook.com/groups/26106060048?view=permalink&id=10152215317430049

A swastika in IOM advertising.

It's an early 1930s poster by Reginald Higgins depicting Godred Croven landing on the island in 1079.

We did have a lot of German visitors. I'd guess the poster was done between 1933 and 1935. I doubt they'd have done it after the Nuremberg Laws in 1935 when it became evident to the rest of the world where things were headed.

Different times - small classes, she would often put the entire class of 8 kids into the back of her mini-van and take them down to the beach. H&S would have kittens were someone to do that today.

No they wouldn't. Schools have minibuses which are used by teachers for field trips. What has H&S got to do with it? Unless your mother was a vicious psychopath. Which might account for you being a whacko too.

I think it's a great page. The only downside to it is that the images aren't sorted into any kind of order and the search function is a bit limited to say the least. It would be nice to see resource like that but maybe by town/village and then maybe also by decade. I was trying to find an image that I was sure had been posted on there and I gave up after 2 hours of trawling through the images one night.

Maybe someone will put something together in due course (a bit like the Manx Wiki that Ripsaw tried a few years back).

I think it's a great page. The only downside to it is that the images aren't sorted into any kind of order and the search function is a bit limited to say the least. It would be nice to see resource like that but maybe by town/village and then maybe also by decade. I was trying to find an image that I was sure had been posted on there and I gave up after 2 hours of trawling through the images one night.

Maybe someone will put something together in due course (a bit like the Manx Wiki that Ripsaw tried a few years back).

Isn't this what's happening at the Museum? Haven't had time to visit, maybe in a couple of weeks once my dog's better and I can come over...

Just post a comment on the page asking about the photo. I'm sure someone on there will be happy to help!

I'd like to see some of these bit don't have a FB account. Can some of them be reproduced here?

We can copy and paste the URL direct to specific photos or photo albums, as Declan did with the swastika, which you can view without having an account. Maybe someone could do a "best of" thread where such URLs are pasted in for people who don't have Facebook, as I assume there are copyright issues with directly uploading them to this forum (plus that would be pointless duplication).

Archived