Public Discussion on Government Revenues

commish

I wonder how much it has cost to produce the very expensive-looking, glossy "Isle of Culture" magazine which has been delivered this morning? And how much will the Post Office have been charged to deliver it? How can the Government justify this kind of expenditure? I can't imagine that it will bring any extra revenue into the coffers.......

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how much it has cost to produce the very expensive-looking, glossy "Isle of Culture" magazine which has been delivered this morning? And how much will the Post Office have been charged to deliver it? How can the Government justify this kind of expenditure? I can't imagine that it will bring any extra revenue into the coffers.......

And who was it aimed at?

Like selling ice to Eskimoes.

Another mis-judged and thoroughly expensive PR exercise.

This government just isn't capable of competently managing the nation's finances

I've always supported Mr Robertshaw but if it was his decision to dip into the NI Funds for £775k then it was very much the wrong example to set

This government just isn't capable of competently managing the nation's finances

I've always supported Mr Robertshaw but if it was his decision to dip into the NI Funds for £775k then it was very much the wrong example to set

It's always sad when someone promising lets you down. I admired you fighting for him months ago, but even the most optimistic of people eventually see reality.

Didn't Bridson and Horrox publish it?

There is a whole page of foreword written signed by Geoff Corkish proclaiming the wonderfulness of our culture.

Let's join in with Geoff,and celebrate the culture of secrecy,culture of entitlement,culture of deceit,lies and bullshit,and above all else their culture of self importance and arrogance.

Let us raise our glasses and hope Geoff continues to gorge at the gravy trough for many years to come,without drowning in it.whatever.gif

With the UK coming out of recession we should see the benefit in a few years as normal.

Not this time. The UK "coming out of recession" is a smoke and mirrors illusion. It could scarcely do otherwise with the amount of borrowed and printed money that has been hurled at it in the last couple of years. I am not saying it shouldn't have been done as they had little choice. But this stimulation is all that is driving it, and we will pay for it with inflation and currency devaluation not too far down the line. UK, and by extension we, have lived beyond our means for far too long. All that is happening with the current small upturn is that the powers that be have extended the credit injection to hold the line for a bit longer.

Whilst I agree with most of what you say I don't think anyone will see inflation in the near future. Reason for that is that governments, in their desperate dash for cash to maintain their own bloated existence, are chasing down money like it's going out of fashion and using it just to keep afloat. That is reducing the velocity of capital in the economy and keeping inflation down near the deflation level. They're printing it on one hand to maintain the illusion and taking it back in the other. Our government is no different (bar the money printing). Instead of cutting their cloth accordingly they are chasing down money from the general economy by way of (stealth) taxes, not realising they're sending the economy under with less money flowing around. But as long as they stay in a job and their pensions keep getting funded until the music stops then so be it.

The need to inflate the debt away is huge and growing. It remains to be seen how long that particular line can be held but it will become irresistible. In extremis, the inflation rate is not within the power of governments to control as we have seen in the past. If you keep putting in filler where there should be metal, eventually the car falls apart. When confidence finally goes there will be one almighty crash with unpredictable consequences.

The need to inflate the debt away is huge and growing. It remains to be seen how long that particular line can be held but it will become irresistible. In extremis, the inflation rate is not within the power of governments to control as we have seen in the past. If you keep putting in filler where there should be metal, eventually the car falls apart. When confidence finally goes there will be one almighty crash with unpredictable consequences.

It's tempting to inflate it away but in reality that won't happen. History shows that hyperinflation and currency collapse/devaluation only really happen in countries that have some kind of breakdown/revolution. What will happen is governments will keep on chipping away, increasing taxes to pay for themselves and making the chosen ones richer and the rest of us poorer. I agree though whatever route they take will ultimately end badly as neither is sustainable but governments around the world, as they are doing, will tax until the economies can take no more. Which is bad news for low tax jurisdictions like ours.

All this talk from the Tory's on TV waxing lyrical about the employment figures, 77000 more in jobs since Christmas, before we forget there are still 2.74 million out of work in the UK, and the news at the same time of an increase in the numbers of people who are claiming food parcels to 1 million, this amongst other problems should see the Tory's lose a lot of seats in the May elections for MEP's.

Things are not so hunky dory over there, so don't think if things improve in the UK they will here, we need to get rid of Legco, and some under managers from some departments, cut the vastly over the top pensions figures paid to retired MHKs and MLCs.

Archived