Motofest is go!

The Sick Moon

I know it's hard to find land for this kind of thing, but you'd think it would have been far more successful a little nearer to town. Something like the site at the top of whitebridge that's been used for festivals in the past.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Family and visitors went Tuesday and stayed the night. 7 in total. Not me. They reported they were the only ones to stay in the crash pad accommodation, which was adequate, and the breakfast OK, that the music was fine and there were about 50 people there in the evening. They enjoyed it. But it was not well advertised. I'm not sure 17 miles out to Jurby with cheap admission (£10 for a week) and cheap crash pad (at £10 per person per night inc tent and sleep mat and sleep bag hire and breakfast) is a disincentive. Sounds a good idea and well thought out.

I'm not sure 17 miles out to Jurby with cheap admission (£10 for a week) and cheap crash pad (at £10 per person per night inc tent and sleep mat and sleep bag hire and breakfast) is a disincentive. Sounds a good idea and well thought out.

I'm sure it was. My kids had week passes and couldn't be bothered using them after the first night because of the time to get out there. When there's so much going on, like free bands in the villa gardens with a fair across the road, why would you trek out to Jurby?

Looks like everyone else though the same.

Living down South, it's just to far away. It's bad enough trying to get a cab back from Douglas outside of TT week, It'd be damn near impossible to find one willing to do a run from Jurby to Port Erin during TT and in the unlikely event you did you'd be paying well over £50 for the privilege.

It's a shame as the stage's look good in the photos and they've clearly gone to a lot of effort and expense to put the whole thing together.

Maybe if they stick at it, have really good camping facilities/packages , some snooze box type accommodation etc. They'll build up a loyal following year on year, but I hate to think how much investment it would take with no guarantee of a return

Regardless of who organised or funded it, it is a shame that it failed. It's also sad that, even though we're told the TT Festival is spreading out across the island, it seems that anything of this kind suffers unless it's held in Douglas.

50% of the population live in Douglas, and doubtless far more than 50% of TT visitors stay in or around it.

They don't want people drink driving, taxi's (if you can get one) cost a lot to get back from Jurby with a skinfull, the bus service is shit. It's nice when people try new ideas on the island, but we have heard some very stupid ideas over recent years.

If this idea had been put to Alan Sugar prior to it going ahead, he'd have told them: 'Off your bike!'.

I don't know about that, it's just too easy to think "Ah, TT week, that's 40,000 potential customers". But it just isn't really. Loads of the 40,000 will be local passenger movements heading in the wrong direction. Loads more will be old codgers, or very young kids. That might leave what, 10,000 realistic target market on the island at the time? Many of whom won't want to be stuck in Jurby, especially as there is lots going on all over the island. Then, what was there to see anyway? It seemed like a load of tribute bands, probably good quality acts, but still a glorified karaoke. It doesn't stack up to me, but then I'm not an Eavis wannabe.

I found the whole TT entertainment in Douglas completely disorganised this year. Why was the stunt show in Nobles Park but other things on the prom, and why not have a set of things on the same night rather than spreading little events out over the week?

I remember the government saying there was going to be a free live music festival in the Villa Gardens and went down to check it out on Wednesday night. It was supposed to kick off at 5.30pm with a big screen coverage of the days racing but there was no screen of any size in sight.

There was an expensive looking stage with stage crew but no one on it or in the audience except my small group and a handful of others who were just keeping out of the rain.

When eventually a 'band' did appear it was some choirs who did a short set, brought an audience of there own friends and family who then left immediately when they finished and no other band came on after, there certainly was not a TT crowd there and that was a free festival in the middle of town.

I think they and Motofest need to have a re-think, at the end of the day the TT crowd are on the whole 'white van man' types so rather than trying to stretch them culturally they should just stick on some strippers, a wet t-shirt competition, mud wrestling and a couple of cage fights with a bingo night for the ladies all would be packed and pay for itself rather than a 'free music festival' with half arsed planning which must have cost several thousand pound to stick on and no one seemed bothered about least of all the organisers.

No one congregates at jurby, the beer tent on the prom is there simply due to the huge crowds that form there every year!

Also, live rock bands for TT is soooo 30 years ago, unless they booked status quo every night (and that would have got boring after a few nights) it was never going to work. No one goes to Jurby to be entertained.

In the later evening people are going to go out near where they are staying so they can have a few beers

Much of the accommodation is in Douglas ergo Douglas events will do better

Only Elvis could bring evening crowds to Jurby

Archived