Port Erin Marine Research Station

Boo Gay'n

Another thought, it might be feasible to construct a small windfarm on the new roundabout, it could possibly supply some of the energy required for the new Ballakilley development, may need to dig the road up though.

Maybe effigies of Gawne, Watterson and Skelly on a mock gallows constructed in the middle of the roundabout? Just to ward off anyone wanting to bring jobs or investment into the area. Abandon all hope all who dare to enter with their fancy notions of creating jobs or economic growth.

• Like 1

Considering the location and the potential Port Erin is a f**king disgrace despite a new roundabout. Where else in the British Isles...

are there any abandoned buildings in Cornwall for Sea Breezes to move into, it must be so disheartening spending time and dosh working on a project to hit a stone wall (or is it being stone-walled ?)

Considering the location and the potential Port Erin is a f**king disgrace despite a new roundabout. Where else in the British Isles...

are there any abandoned buildings in Cornwall for Sea Breezes to move into, it must be so disheartening spending time and dosh working on a project to hit a stone wall (or is it being stone-walled ?)

Oh what a comedian you are smile.png . One thing that's so nice here is that people care about the place, the beaches have the small coffee shops fish & chips etc. that you and I remember from 50+ years ago. It's clean.

I'll take your Port Erin and Ramsey (rather you kept Ramsey though) and I'll offer you Coverack. The IOM could be just as nice, it really could. If you want a beach holiday with the dogs just head down this way, Coverack allows dogs all year round as do plenty of other beaches. Dogs come in the pubs...

The pub (inside shot) is the Five Pilchards Inn at Porthallow. The pub (outside shot) is the Ferry Boat Inn, there will be ~ 2,000 people on the beach on Saturday for the local regatta.

Bloody marvelous.

post-1075-0-61218900-1406870999_thumb.jpg

post-1075-0-60014800-1406871010_thumb.jpg

post-1075-0-69185900-1406871211_thumb.jpg

post-1075-0-52809000-1406871376_thumb.jpg

The IOM could be just as nice

Could have been. But today the sea water around the island is no longer safe to swim in because of the sewerage - an issue which should been urgently addressed during the VAT years.

There were turds floating openly down Douglas beach 40-50 years ago ,so what has happened to make our water so much dirtier today?

There were turds floating openly down Douglas beach 40-50 years ago ,so what has happened to make our water so much dirtier today?

In those days water elsewhere around the island was still ok. Today there seems to be almost nowhere on the island where the water gets a completely good report every year.

Masses of new houses being built without adequate infrastructure has to be part of the issue. But I am guessing. And I suppose that expectations and standards have also changed. In which case I am slightly on the back foot.

Either way the issue should have been sorted. No sewerage should be going into the sea and it should all be safe to swim in. I'm not blaming anyone btw. Mistakes happen.

• Like 1

Run-off from farms in streams is always going to be an issue. I was just looking at a warning for the Cornish coastline, they say the sea is safe (almost all the highest possible quality) but the streams going down to the sea shouldn't be used for drinking water.

There should be a fixed charge per new house which then goes to the local authority / water board for new treatment plants, this happens in other countries already.

Who was the person phoning MR years ago saying that IRIS would never work as designed and who were the politicos saying it would be perfect?

The thing is is that they can take as many samples as they like from around manx beaches but the same water will be getting sampled in Whitehaven the day after , so how can you tell who is responsible for the pollution?

Unless of course you watch a bunch of Eidiots pumping harbour sludge over a breakwater or something?

homarus,

I think the circumstantial evidence would ensure conviction, also there's dilution of the brown and yellow stuff as it makes its way to the NW coast? Doesn't bacteria eat it up? Can't find much on the web about this.

homarus,

I think the circumstantial evidence would ensure conviction, also there's dilution of the brown and yellow stuff as it makes its way to the NW coast? Doesn't bacteria eat it up? Can't find much on the web about this.

Circumstantial? Those imbeciles down at Peel pumped it over the edge of the breakwater in broad daylight.

No charges GD, which i thought was a bit strange as I seem to remember that in the Douglas Marina dredging operation that the contractor was not allowed to dump harbour sludge within half a mile of the coastline? Perhaps somebody on here could put me right on that one?

As for IRIS it's all been said already, the triumph of stupidity over logic.

Why exactly would planning turn down an entrepreneur who was prepared to spend his own cash to improve the infrastructure of a run down building, and also provide a few much needed jobs.

This Island is dying on its feet and insane decisions like this can only accelerate the downward spiral we are in.

No small wonder that people are leaving the place in there droves. SHAMEFULL.devil.gif

• Like 2