Port Erin Marine Research Station

Boo Gay'n

Be great if the DOI gave the general public carte blanche to be creative and install whatever individuals believe sums up the the history and culture of the area, what about a barbers pole in memory of Fred Shute or a pair of boots in memory of Mr. Boyd the cobbler, an anvil for Snooker Corkill the smithy or some junk for Norman Tasker?

Edited by hagar the horrible

I notice in the new Planning Applications for Port Erin, one for 34 Apartments on the site of the old ' Belle Vue ' or as it was re-named The Royal. Parking plans were approved for the Marine Bio St which leads me to suspect that plans will soon follow for another 50 or so Apartments on the site ( Car Parking permission already in place.) . Cynical I may be but there is little left of the once beautiful frontage of Port Erin, and within another couple of years the old ' Belle' and the ' Fish Hatchery ' will also be nothing but memories, with the sites occupied by ever more Appartments , many of which will be owned by off- Island money - grubs, and serviced by Island Estate Egents for new residents / 2nd home owners / holiday homes etc ? (Are there many people who still want to come hear, when the cost of living is considered ) One thing for sure , very few if any of these Apartments will be owned by local young couples, who just may have been the future for the Village. This refusal is a disgrace, but if I were a gambler I would put money on the plans for the ' Belle Vue ' being passed. Somebody has plans for the Bio Statiion as well, and I believe they will have little to do with any enhancement of the area for the people of Port Erin. Will the ' Falcons Nest ' be the next target for the destroyers of the Islands Architectural history, both developers and Government, with a big nod to the Planning Department for their dedicated help with this destruction

Let's have some rockets on the roundabout

or a space ship.....

Don't do that, the Isrealis will only bomb Port Erin,, mind you that might be a good idea.

the parish council are way ahead, they can spend a bomb without any noticeable difference

I notice in the new Planning Applications for Port Erin, one for 34 Apartments on the site of the old ' Belle Vue ' or as it was re-named The Royal. Parking plans were approved for the Marine Bio St which leads me to suspect that plans will soon follow for another 50 or so Apartments on the site ( Car Parking permission already in place.) . Cynical I may be but there is little left of the once beautiful frontage of Port Erin, and within another couple of years the old ' Belle' and the ' Fish Hatchery ' will also be nothing but memories, with the sites occupied by ever more Appartments , many of which will be owned by off- Island money - grubs, and serviced by Island Estate Egents for new residents / 2nd home owners / holiday homes etc ? (Are there many people who still want to come hear, when the cost of living is considered ) One thing for sure , very few if any of these Apartments will be owned by local young couples, who just may have been the future for the Village. This refusal is a disgrace, but if I were a gambler I would put money on the plans for the ' Belle Vue ' being passed. Somebody has plans for the Bio Statiion as well, and I believe they will have little to do with any enhancement of the area for the people of Port Erin. Will the ' Falcons Nest ' be the next target for the destroyers of the Islands Architectural history, both developers and Government, with a big nod to the Planning Department for their dedicated help with this destruction

There were rumours

There'd be no hotels proper left in the south

There were rumours

There'd be no hotels proper left in the south

No tourists to stay in them if there were any, there's another idea, we could have a model of a tourist family complete with buckets and spades on the magic roundabout, more nostalgiathumbsup.gif

in Jeddah, local companies sponsored the roundabout construction - there were Dakota aircraft, fishing dhows, cars half buried into a concrete block with the external half displaying tail lights, models of the planets etc. All very entertaining, although I have just remembered there are no local companies in Port Erin.

Shame .... roundabout tourism could have been the future ....