Port Erin Marine Research Station

Boo Gay'n

So, in conclusion then, the OP was wrong to accuse an MHK of blocking the plans?

In answer to your question...I don't know!

As much as Juan would like to think his powers are all consuming; in this case I don't think he would have the power of veto.

The inspector inspects (no surprise there), writes up his report and makes recommendations.

The planning committee then vote having heard from the inspector and the applicant.

Either side could lobby through the 'back door' if they wished.

Has happened before re: Mount Murray and the holiday homes with double garages!

TBT.

• Like 1

I don't see the problem. Why would they need 150 odd spaces for a 20 bedroom hotel with a restaurant and a couple of other facilities? As for kicking existing parking spaces, so what? Nobody parks there at the moment anyway! Give them the 89 spaces, keep the green space, and let them get on with it!

• Like 5

I don't see the problem. Why would they need 150 odd spaces for a 20 bedroom hotel with a restaurant and a couple of other facilities? As for kicking existing parking spaces, so what? Nobody parks there at the moment anyway! Give them the 89 spaces, keep the green space, and let them get on with it!

>I don't see the problem.

And I don't see the problem. The inspectors report suggests 6 conditions to aid approval. One involving the protection of the lizard population (condition 6). There may also be a bat or two in residence...

Get these conditions into some form of perspective and planning permission can be granted.

Sea Breezes are just trying to maximise their profits at the expense of accepted planning regs.

So what next? They ignore fire regulations, reduce the amount of insulation to below current standards, fit smaller roof trusses "coz they're cheaper", ignore current best practice regarding vehicular/wheelchair access, would the traffic lights at the Bay Hotel need attention (cue Matt) etc?

>Why would they need 150 odd spaces for a 20 bedroom hotel with a restaurant and a couple of other facilities?

Estimated parking spaces are; 11 for the offices, 16 for the laboratory, 20 for the hotel, 10 for the dive centre, 66 for the marine interpretation centre/shop, a coach drop off point (ah yes, coach parking...you forgot about that, what says the driver parks outside the Bay Hotel, blocks the traffic lights and prevents expeditious access to the lifeboat station?) plus a motorcycle/bike park.

The plans show 89 parking spaces for an expectant 123 vehicles, not including those who currently visit independent of the proposed facilities. Hence the developers need to permanently bulldoze the green area and shelter.

And I'm surmising the lizards/bats will have to make their own arrangements!

Nope, I just don't think it's been thought through.

TBT.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably got fed up with having to fight the 'we don't want change' brigade.

Pity - Port Erin will now be left to rot with no real future other than a retirement village for old people and people who piss away their tax payers paid wage in the pub.

Now, if it was in Douglas ..

• Like 2