Israel vs. the rest of the world?

spook

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

The average Palestinian is a bit concerned with not dying to be driving anyone anywhere.

Keep ducking and diving.

You should be good at it by now...

3 seafarers now reported as killed by Houthi missile strike on unarmed merchantman.

Reported by British Foreign Office so there is sadly likely to be a UK connection.

Update. Greek owned merchantman with no US, UK or Israeli connections, fatalities reported as Filipino. Ship now abandoned and drifting, on fire.

More random grandstanding by the Houthi ragheads, let's hope the coalition leave them glowing in the dark. 

Edited by Non-Believer
Update

• 2 weeks later...

The storm is gathering:

Netanyahu approves Rafah attack plans as aid ship reaches Gaza

Israeli PM’s decision may be intended to put negotiating pressure on Hamas, observers say, after his cabinet discussed truce proposal

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/15/netanyahu-approves-plans-for-rafah-attack-israeli-officials-say

Knowing that their presence in Rafah is making a difference I'm sure there will be a reluctance amongst the faithful to clear the way for the IDF.

But, of course, they are all innocent and all the celebrating in the streets on October 11th was just a big world wide party for someone's birthday...

Edited by P.K.
Poor grammar

"They were dressed in civilian clothes and hamas terrorists wear civilian clothes so we killed them" is quite the justification.

Hard to argue actions like that are anything other than murder really, though I'm sure loads of people will.

• Like 2

Ho hum ... what a terrible terrible thing war is.

Leaders who think war is a way of achieving their political objectives deserve a special place in hell ... but what of those fighting to stop them?

I am really struck by the total dichotomy in propaganda about this nasty little war. On one side it is the worst genocide committed this century, on the other the war with the lowest ratio of civilian deaths to combatant deaths.

I don't believe either claim. The war is massively destructive but there is a difference between war and genocide. 

I've continue to seek reasonable comparators to base my understanding. Hamas has 30,000 fighters embedded in 2million people. The British army is 80,000 in 60million.

In Berlin in 1945 there were about 45,000 Nazi soldiers within the Berlin Defence Area during the Battle in Berlin, and about 125,000 civilians died during the Soviet assault.

War is a sickening thing.

My main view is that on October 7th Hamas deliberately created a casus belli and I am not surprised at all that Israeli politicians see very little difference between clearing Berlin of Nazis and clearing Gaza of Hamas.

Terrible political leadership from both the Nazis and Hamas have brought terrible terrible hardship upon their people.

I pity them, and look at Russia too. I hope our political leaders are wiser.

For Hamas to so devalue Israel's deterrent capability was madness in my view.  

Just now, TheTeapot said:

"They were dressed in civilian clothes and hamas terrorists wear civilian clothes so we killed them" is quite the justification.

Hard to argue actions like that are anything other than murder really, though I'm sure loads of people will.

We just don't know the full context of the images and I suspect we never will.

If I was a civilian in an active combat zone I'd carry a white flag, but we all know that that was no help to the escaped hostages the IDF killed. Impunity in war is an evil thing. 

Just now, Chinahand said:

We just don't know the full context of the images and I suspect we never will.

If I was a civilian in an active combat zone I'd carry a white flag, but we all know that that was no help to the escaped hostages the IDF killed. Impunity in war is an evil thing. 

That's it, they killed those brave people who'd managed to escape their appalling kidnapping. Because they would kill everyone if they could. 

That's always been my argument, that if they could get away with it Israel would have the Palestinians gone by whatever means. People say Iran is evil because they have stated they want Israel wiped off the map, or Hamas who won't rest until Israel is destroyed. Israel is actively carrying it out, and might go all the way if no one stops them.

Two sides in a war where both are wrong and the supposed good guys are doing heinous shit everyday. Horrible world.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

That's it, they killed those brave people who'd managed to escape their appalling kidnapping. Because they would kill everyone if they could. 

That's always been my argument, that if they could get away with it Israel would have the Palestinians gone by whatever means. People say Iran is evil because they have stated they want Israel wiped off the map, or Hamas who won't rest until Israel is destroyed. Israel is actively carrying it out, and might go all the way if no one stops them.

Two sides in a war where both are wrong and the supposed good guys are doing heinous shit everyday. Horrible world.

Of course, it never occurs to you that the only reason they would open fire is because they thought they were under threat. Then the training would have taken over. Which is why an insurgency is such a terrible conflict as any civilian might suddenly turn and kill you or worse your mates. The IDF are having to make these split-second decisions all day every day. To expect them to get every call right in the nightmare landscape of Gaza is clearly a nonsense.

Those IDF troops will now have to carry in their heads for the rest of their days how they killed their own. Good luck with that one. But they will be out of the line because now they're at too much risk of hesitating when they just can't afford to...

War is a nasty, dirty, miserable business. Pity Hamas didn't care about that when they launched their assault. But I guess they were just obeying orders from Tehran who don't want to see a Saudi-Israel accord.

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Of course, it never occurs to you that the only reason they would open fire is because they thought they were under threat.

They were waving a white flag

Then the training would have taken over.

Yes, that's why they killed them.

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

They were waving a white flag

Yes, that's why they killed them.

You obviously don't like the explanation simply because it doesn't suit your agenda.

But now I have your attention what would be your strategy to root out Hamas from Gaza, Hezbollah from Lebanon and so forth?

The floor is yours...

ETA : @TheTeapot

Edited by P.K.

13 hours ago, P.K. said:

You obviously don't like the explanation simply because it doesn't suit your agenda.

But now I have your attention what would be your strategy to root out Hamas from Gaza, Hezbollah from Lebanon and so forth?

The floor is yours...

ETA : @TheTeapot

Hope you’re not holding your breath…