Summerland Sold

Zammo Maguire

In a way I just wish they'd not build anything there. It's not actually a great space for anything other than a storage area. And its dark past would make it like building on a graveyard.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone should build this big concrete box and stick a big swimming pool in it with a proper high diving board, and a roller rink/sports hall, and an arcade with the return of the jedi arcade machine, and a kids soft play area, and a cinema, and a concert venue/exhibition space, and a nightclub with a mental DJ.

This would be good. It's quite a scary ride just because you're not held on the horse by much.

I went on it with my elderly mum without realising just how much of a coaster it was. I can recall the horror of seeing her disappearing into the distance clinging onto that horse really tightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2FDN6Go73I

• 3 weeks later...

I thought they made a memorial garden then made it bigger, how many more do we need ?

A small Memorial Stone was placed in the Kaye Garden (which was already in existence) for the 25th Anniversary. On the 40th Anniversary three more stones were placed there. These stones bear the names of the victims. The Council did a wonderful job, that is not in dispute. However, the Memorial is not on or near the site of the fire. It is usual is it not for Memorials to be placed at the scene of a tragedy? It may not have been possible in the case of the 40th Anniversary given that the site is derelict, however in the years after the fire there was nothing done, when there should have been.

For the record, I am not asking for another garden. I have asked for a Sunflower Sculpture opposite the site. It isn't just for the victims, it's for everyone. There is nothing to mark where Summerland was. People have happy memories too and they have been reluctant to speak of them because of what happened. I thought the Sunflower, a symbol of hope, might help us all to find a way forward.

some people want to get over it,its finished done gone ffs.

Not so easy when you are reminded of it every day of your life. And by the way, do you not have sufficient command of the English language to express yourself without resorting to abbreviated expletives?

You will never get closure until YOU decide to move on.

Don't mean to be harsh, but why should it matter what happens to the place now?

Don't worry about being harsh, I'm used to it. Do you not care that it's an eyesore? I'm not Manx, but I care deeply about the Island. I think for everyone's sake, it needs to be redeveloped sooner rather than later. As for the closure, let me tell you something, until you have walked in my shoes, or those of anyone involved in the Summerland tragedy, you will never understand.

I thought they made a memorial garden then made it bigger, how many more do we need ?

A small Memorial Stone was placed in the Kaye Garden (which was already in existence) for the 25th Anniversary. On the 40th Anniversary three more stones were placed there. These stones bear the names of the victims. The Council did a wonderful job, that is not in dispute. However, the Memorial is not on or near the site of the fire. It is usual is it not for Memorials to be placed at the scene of a tragedy? It may not have been possible in the case of the 40th Anniversary given that the site is derelict, however in the years after the fire there was nothing done, when there should have been.

For the record, I am not asking for another garden. I have asked for a Sunflower Sculpture opposite the site. It isn't just for the victims, it's for everyone. There is nothing to mark where Summerland was. People have happy memories too and they have been reluctant to speak of them because of what happened. I thought the Sunflower, a symbol of hope, might help us all to find a way forward.

and the war memorial is nowhere the Somme !

Archived