Summerland Sold

Zammo Maguire

I thought they made a memorial garden then made it bigger, how many more do we need ?

A small Memorial Stone was placed in the Kaye Garden (which was already in existence) for the 25th Anniversary. On the 40th Anniversary three more stones were placed there. These stones bear the names of the victims. The Council did a wonderful job, that is not in dispute. However, the Memorial is not on or near the site of the fire. It is usual is it not for Memorials to be placed at the scene of a tragedy? It may not have been possible in the case of the 40th Anniversary given that the site is derelict, however in the years after the fire there was nothing done, when there should have been.

For the record, I am not asking for another garden. I have asked for a Sunflower Sculpture opposite the site. It isn't just for the victims, it's for everyone. There is nothing to mark where Summerland was. People have happy memories too and they have been reluctant to speak of them because of what happened. I thought the Sunflower, a symbol of hope, might help us all to find a way forward.

and the war memorial is nowhere the Somme !

Memorial is perhaps the wrong name for the Sunflower Sculpture, tribute perhaps is more fitting. Anyhow, I have been told the victims will be acknowledged on the site. There are several sculptures around the Island, do you not think it would be nice to have Summerland represented too, beside where it stood. There needn't be any wording at all. I had thought that some Cushag round the base would be nice too. I know it's a weed but very pretty.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't pretend to understand and i'm sure the pain and the memories are still very real. But you can either live for the past, or for the future. That is a choice you make, and a choice we must make also. Those who were affected by Summerland were badly let down by the officials of the Isle of Man and have a right to be angry, and the pursue justice.

But we don't need - can't have! - a memorial for everytime something sad happens. If we did this, the mountain road would look like one of those southern european highways, like in Greece and Italy, where every family erects a memorial to their fallen. They are tatty and gauche.

There is, i believe, a memorial garden. That is appropriate, but it is also enough. Any building on the new site should be about the future.

it'll probably be a car park in the end anyway. Or a Starbucks.

With the greatest of respect, and sympathy, I am not sure what closure you are looking for, or if redevelopment or another memorial will bring it. Perhaps, the truth is that nothing will bring closure unless you desire it. Good luck to you, but sometimes you have to put these things in a little box, bring them out now and again to remember, and put them back until the next time.

i don't pretend to understand and i'm sure the pain and the memories are still very real. But you can either live for the past, or for the future. That is a choice you make, and a choice we must make also. Those who were affected by Summerland were badly let down by the officials of the Isle of Man and have a right to be angry, and the pursue justice.

But we don't need - can't have! - a memorial for everytime something sad happens. If we did this, the mountain road would look like one of those southern european highways, like in Greece and Italy, where every family erects a memorial to their fallen. They are tatty and gauche.

There is, i believe, a memorial garden. That is appropriate, but it is also enough. Any building on the new site should be about the future.

it'll probably be a car park in the end anyway. Or a Starbucks.

We can't have the future without the past. I'm not asking for a Memorial on the site. Here in Ireland, there are Memorials dotted around the roads everywhere to commemorate those who were killed in accidents. I'm sure the families of those who died would be upset to hear them described as tatty or gauche. They aren't words I like to hear associated with tributes to the "fallen" either here or on the Island. I am all for bringing the Summerland site into the future, which is why I chose a positive symbol ie. the Sunflower. I think at this year's Anniversary you will see that reflected in the floral arrangements laid at the memorial in the Kaye Garden. I made a change last year and I think others will follow. I never expected the council to commit to having a short ceremony each year on the Anniversary and I never would have asked for it, but it means a lot. I just feel there needs to be something near the site. What objection do you have to a tasteful Sculpture of a Sunflower or Sunflowers, representing the past the present and the future? Would it cause you offence to see it on the prom across the road from the site, and if so why?

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 3:41 PM, Gladys said:

With the greatest of respect, and sympathy, I am not sure what closure you are looking for, or if redevelopment or another memorial will bring it. Perhaps, the truth is that nothing will bring closure unless you desire it. Good luck to you, but sometimes you have to put these things in a little box, bring them out now and again to remember, and put them back until the next time.

D

I was not meaning the physical reminders but the psychological effects. As I said in another thread, try to get a referral; in the 40 odd years since that terrible night there must have been many things that have happened, some good, some bad, that do more to define you. Perhaps you just need a way of acknowledging that rather than thinking of Summerland as the thing that makes you who you are. That is not to diminish the impact, but give it some proportionality in the wider range of life since then.

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 0:25 AM, Gladys said:

I was not meaning the physical reminders but the psychological effects. As I said in another thread, try to get a referral; in the 40 odd years since that terrible night there must have been many things that have happened, some good, some bad, that do more to define you. Perhaps you just need a way of acknowledging that rather than thinking of Summerland as the thing that makes you who you are. That is not to diminish the impact, but give it some proportionality in the wider range of life since then.

D

Archived