Artificial Intelligence

Chinahand

Two coins flipped an infinite number of times will quite definitely NOT have the same number of heads.

When we think about a coin tossed any number of times we are dealing with probabilities not with guarantees. There is no definitely here surely? Doesn't every possible outcome have an equal probability?

I don't think there is an equal probability no there are many more ways of getting the heads and tails to match than getting all heads or all tails.

I think it is a Bernoulli distribution about zero - at the limit as it converges to infinity it will converge on a normal distribution stretching from + inifinity to - inifinity with the mode at zero.

I think that Lao is correct about infinite coin tosses. But if we mean a very very big number then I think that we need to be set the terms more clearly. We might be arguing different things. Or even the same.

The fact remains that these are programmable machines and not sentient beings. I do not see how, after testing (learning from having repeatedly tested) all possible permutations, they would not be equally good at solving the problem. It's clever, great PR for Google, but not magic. It's built on core programming principles.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its surprises me that nobody has had the wisdom to think to test this infinite coin theory in real life

You're wrong there. There's a government project ready to test this, that have already recruited hundreds of tossers. You can get great pay, pensions and perks being a tosser here.

its surprises me that nobody has had the wisdom to think to test this infinite coin theory in real life

You're wrong there. There's a government project ready to test this, that have already recruited hundreds of tossers. You can get great pay, pensions and perks being a tosser here.

Your puerile "tossers" joke is already getting tedious Tweek.

I'll get back to you with a witty retort as soon as I've looked that word up.

I'll get back to you with a witty retort as soon as I've looked that word up.

It's a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, esp. a story with a funny punchline

You seem like someone who may in fact know of such a person

• 3 years later...

What AI can do with a single selfie, let alone 8 of them, is getting really incredible.

Scarily incredible.  Think how many selfies you've put up on facebook or whatever.

The flawless 4K video of Trump or Putin or Biden doing and saying things they never did or said can easily be manufactured today.

Manufacturing consent, manufacturing truth. It is going to be increasingly difficult to know what people have actually said and done.

A terrible situation for democracy.

On 5/27/2019 at 10:28 AM, Chinahand said:

What AI can do with a single selfie, let alone 8 of them, is getting really incredible.

Scarily incredible.  Think how many selfies you've put up on facebook or whatever.

The flawless 4K video of Trump or Putin or Biden doing and saying things they never did or said can easily be manufactured today.

Manufacturing consent, manufacturing truth. It is going to be increasingly difficult to know what people have actually said and done.

A terrible situation for democracy.

It certainly puts into context the latest fake news claims about Martin Luther King Jr. Even back in the 1960s they were involved in all manner of schemes such as use of doctored images or video of him to blackmail him, not to mention the death threats. Now in 2019 we're supposed to believe "FBI surveillance tapes" from the 60s when technology is now so advanced and the same institution is on record as having conspired at the time to defame Dr King's character? If it can be done to a man of his standing, it can be done to any of us.

15 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

It certainly puts into context the latest fake news claims about Martin Luther King Jr. Even back in the 1960s they were involved in all manner of schemes such as use of doctored images or video of him to blackmail him, not to mention the death threats. Now in 2019 we're supposed to believe "FBI surveillance tapes" from the 60s when technology is now so advanced and the same institution is on record as having conspired at the time to defame Dr King's character? If it can be done to a man of his standing, it can be done to any of us.

Nothing new - Stalin was doctoring photos in the 1930s

Archived