New Tesco Express?

The Inspector

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the story went like this. Tesco won the Licensing application in December, Shoprite appealed to the Licensing Court of Appeal. The Appeal was heard in May. Tesco won. Shoprite have appealed to the High Court and that appeal is going to be heard in mid November.

• 7 months later...

Reported today on the Government propaganda Mouthpiece Manx Radio, Tesco pulling idea of setting up at the Strand Centre. I doubt Tesco will think of opening up anymore shops on the island, which is the islands loss.

Reported today on the Government propaganda Mouthpiece Manx Radio, Tesco pulling idea of setting up at the Strand Centre. I doubt Tesco will think of opening up anymore shops on the island, which is the islands loss.

It isn't though is it?

It is pure greed from Tesco. They could quite easily set up a convenience store (they have outrageous margins) and make plenty of money. It was the same in Castletown.

Tarne - you are drunk if you think a Tesco Express was going to be the saviour of Castletown. Deary me.

On the contrary, I think it would have been the catalyst to improve the town. Without Tesco being where it is in Douglas, I can safely say that the North Quay wouldn't be the same.

On the contrary, I think it would have been the catalyst to improve the town. Without Tesco being where it is in Douglas, I can safely say that the North Quay wouldn't be the same.

That is nonsense.

What correlation is there to people driving to Tesco so shop and any redevelopment of the North Quay? Zero.

You are grasping at straws.

Tesco could quite easily still have opened up in Castletown. It was pure greed that stopped them.

The silly thing is that they could have established themselves in both places and no doubt gone back for an alcohol license at a later point. The financial viability of those stores doesn't rest on alcohol sales.

That is nonsense.

What correlation is there to people driving to Tesco so shop and any redevelopment of the North Quay? Zero.

You are grasping at straws.

Tesco could quite easily still have opened up in Castletown. It was pure greed that stopped them.

The silly thing is that they could have established themselves in both places and no doubt gone back for an alcohol license at a later point. The financial viability of those stores doesn't rest on alcohol sales.

It's a shame Tesco's didn't just come to you for advice. Then you could have shouted at them, told them what they were doing was nonsense, written them a business plan on the back of an envelope based on no knowledge whatsoever, and let them spend £5m "Because Notwell says so"

Not sure I understand the logic there because Tesco rely on people driving in and driving out for their business. I would suggest that the only people who frequent Tesco on foot are either office workers in their lunch hour and residents around Lord Street area. Tesco wouldn't survive if they relied solely on that footfall.

It isn't though is it?

It is pure greed from Tesco. They could quite easily set up a convenience store (they have outrageous margins) and make plenty of money. It was the same in Castletown.

Tarne - you are drunk if you think a Tesco Express was going to be the saviour of Castletown. Deary me.

oh dear, oh dear! Poor misguided 'Notwell'. Do you have a working knowledge of the 'outrageous margins' which you claim Tesco make?

You clearly do not understand that the cost of operating in town centre are way higher than an out of town hypermarket.

It isn't though is it?

oh dear, oh dear! Poor misguided 'Notwell'. Do you have a working knowledge of the 'outrageous margins' which you claim Tesco make?

You clearly do not understand that the cost of operating in town centre are way higher than an out of town hypermarket.

The Tesco Express margins bear no comparison to the hyper/supermarket model.

You need to look at the Co-op and Spar for the charging/profit model and those margins are substantially higher than any hypermarket be that in or out of town. It's a convenience store charging convenience prices.

Tesco wouldn't have Tesco Express if it margin bore any resemblence to its day to day super/hypermarket business.

Archived