Carnival/Rendezvous/Strand 58/New Strand/Strand...up for sale

Wann

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why wetherspoons? Can't think of a worse chain of pubs with crap beer abd worse cheap food. I believe this chain is single handedly destroying the pub game up and down the UK.

What crap beer have you had in Wetherspoons? Last time I was in Liverpool the had some wonderful beer from the George Wright brewery.

Can't complain about weatherspoons great place. Can't understand why carnival failed it's in a good location and they had live music. If it is to remain a pub the new owners could do worse than speak to the owners of jaks. They seem to be doing something right the place is always busy.

It's a shame to see it closed down but I think they need to really open up the front aspect of the building. From a "retail" perspective the bulk of the frontage is taken up by stonework and it looks dull and uninviting.

It's a prime retail pitch with some remodelling.

Wetherspoon's totally depends on which one. My first experience (in Manchester) was probably the worst meal I have ever paid for (although that might be being unfair to the Marine in Peel). The second time I was press ganged into a family celebration at one in Buxton and arrived expecting the worst. Totally different experience. Great beer, great food (outstanding acutally), great atmosphere, so I would say you can only judge them outlet by outlet.

ETA: I wasn't being unfair to the Marine. Didn't pay for that one it was so dire.

Interesting.

I think the most crucial thing about all this, is if the properties are being sold with covenants that they do not open as licensed premises (as with The Trafalgar for example). If they are then you can forget about Weatherspoons opening in Carnival/Strand.

Brit still up for sale in Ramsey. Rumour has it that the Stanley is next for the chop.

Yet the private houses, Commercial and Traf only a few doors down continue to do well....

H & B haven't got a clue when it comes to running pubs and think that the answer to dwindling clientele is to blame everyone else and ramp up the prices to make up for the dwindling income.

Jaks is always busy and clearly know what they are doing.

It's not all about price, contrary to what H & B think. Pubs that are well run, clean, provide good service and value + entertainment that people want will always thrive.

The independent pubs in Peel, Ramsey and Douglas never seem to struggle - which tells you something.

Archived