Carnival/Rendezvous/Strand 58/New Strand/Strand...up for sale

Wann

Are H&B ever going to do anything with the ground floor of the Clarendon site on the Quay? Could be a nice open airy bar with space for bands and a bit of room for tables outside on a sunny day.

Jaks have either bought it or leased it

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Okells is delish. Prob my fave of all the beers. I can drink a good 6 pints of it without any malaise the next day.

I think the brewery is a classic case of a lazy company that's had it too good for too long and is quite happy to rest on its laurels and just play about with things. Some of the locations they own - not rent - are incredible and if you couldn't make them spectacular you shouldn't be in the hospitality trade. To even think of selling Strand St and some of the others they have ditched over the years is crazy. Needs a big, big shake up in management. Couple of good appointments could totally transform it.

I think the brewery is a classic case of a lazy company that's had it too good for too long and is quite happy to rest on its laurels and just play about with things. Some of the locations they own - not rent - are incredible and if you couldn't make them spectacular you shouldn't be in the hospitality trade. To even think of selling Strand St and some of the others they have ditched over the years is crazy. Needs a big, big shake up in management. Couple of good appointments could totally transform it.

+ 1

Lazy useless bastards who would rather continue to rip off consumers through unaffordable bar prices than deliver any form of service of value for money. Then they are the same people who complain nobody is spending money in pubs anymore so they have to sell them off. In most UK towns all the old banks are being turned into Wetherspoons or other pubs or bars. Here we'll soon have no banks and no bars.

100% agree with those last two posts, the brewery have run the trade into the ground on the island. No investment or upkeep in the majority of their establishments, other than the ones identified as the most profitable customer "milking halls".

Yet those pubs that have passed into private hands have largely done well and their customer numbers frequently outstrip those of their brewery competitors next door.

I think the brewery is more interested in running Spars.

I think Okells is delish. Prob my fave of all the beers. I can drink a good 6 pints of it without any malaise the next day.

But, by your own admission, you live in a cardboard box and would probably class piddling your pants at night as central heating.

100% agree with those last two posts, the brewery have run the trade into the ground on the island. No investment or upkeep in the majority of their establishments, other than the ones identified as the most profitable customer "milking halls".

Yet those pubs that have passed into private hands have largely done well and their customer numbers frequently outstrip those of their brewery competitors next door.

I think the brewery is more interested in running Spars.

Maybe that's what they should do. Brew beer and run Spars, and let other people buy the pubs.

Though the fact that they seek to sell the buildings with covenants preventing such might suggest that they're not keen on the idea?

Manx crab attitude from the brewery? Or just sour grapes that others have managed to do what they couldn't?

Wetherspoons had quite a bit of success in overturning covenants in London . "Covenants are not a planning consideration" and unless someone is aggrieved enough to make the arrangements to convene a covenant hearing (not cheap, I'm told) some folk seem to do as they like,...............................well on this island they do)

Wonder if this would qualify as an "anti-competitive practice"?

Oh for an IoM Competition Commission, eh....?!

Archived