New Manx Radio Website

GD4ELI

I like Manx Radio so please don't think I'm jumping on the bandwagon but I do think that the DJs lean towards playing tunes from their youth or when they DJed at the Cave or whereever. I always seem to hear cheesy dance records from the 90s like Freed From desire and what not. Maybe these records have special memories for the people playing them but I think they're gash.

One man's Brahms is another man's Beastie Boy. It would be impossible to choose music that suited everyone. It isn't bad, it's just that you don't like it.

Oh come on as if you have ever played the Beastie Boys or Brahms for that matter, it is not possible to please everyone but perhaps you could try and please someone other than yourselves.

I do think that there is a point here. I like music from classical to today (except modern jazz and rap, neither of which I consider to be music anyway), but there is a very narrow repetitive selection on radio. Particularly the Brindleyesque cheese, which is OK, but just not all the time. I'd like to hear a classical piece followed by a rock anthem followed by a song from a show, then one from the charts and maybe a CW classic. Why not? Why be like everyone else? People might hear and like stuff they haven't considered before. Especially on a programme like TH where the audience is really there to hear the ranting and the music is incidental.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I've noticed about the music on MR, is it doesn't seem to be picked by people with a great affinity for music. They'll play 80's music, which is fair enough given their demographic, but they'll play the random stuff that was a hit in the 80's not music from the 80's that is still popular today.

They'll play Living In A Box instead of Echo and the Bunnymen say because Living In A Box had a bigger hit 30 years ago, even though the Bunnymen's albums are all still in print in deluxe reissues, still play fairly large venues and are on the bill of major festivals, whilst Living in a Box might as well be.

I do wish they'd stop referring to that Tristan nutjob from Ramsey as "civil liberties campaigner".

It gives him an unwarranted authority. He's not spokesman for any organisation other than himself and mostly he isn't talking about civil liberties but data security issues.

In fact often he's arguing to reduce freedom of choice trying to deny people the opportunity to interact with the Government in convenient way. Although I'm not sure that counts as a civil liberty.

The use of this phrase gives weight to the guy's comments that he hasn't earned. They wouldn't describe the Chemi-trails guy from Ramsey as "Environmental Campaigner" or that guy (also from Ramsey coincidentally) that thinks there's a giant conspiracy against him because the govt rejected his digital democracy idea as a "Democracy Advocate". Why give this nutter airtime and misleading descriptions.

What I've noticed about the music on MR, is it doesn't seem to be picked by people with a great affinity for music.

When the disc jockeys sum up a track by calling it "a good number" or, for a bit of variety, "a good track that" you know the guys are really into their music.

...........................Tristan nutjob from Ramsey.................

......................................Chemi-trails guy from Ramsey ........................... or that guy (also from Ramsey coincidentally)..............................

They should just say "from Ramsey". Tells us all we need to know.

What I've noticed about the music on MR, is it doesn't seem to be picked by people with a great affinity for music.

When the disc jockeys sum up a track by calling it "a good number" or, for a bit of variety, "a good track that" you know the guys are really into their music.

Or totally mispronounce a track or the artist. Slack.

I do wish they'd stop referring to that Tristan nutjob from Ramsey as "civil liberties campaigner".

I've often wondered who he is and more to the point who he thinks he is. Why is he given such a platform for his views? Is he Manx? Sounds a bit Welsh to be Manx, but you never know. Certainly seems to have a lot of time to delve into this stuff. Doesn't confine the benefit of his opinions to the Island either: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/S4_EducationandCultureCommittee/Children%20and%20Young%20People%20%28Scotland%29%20Bill/LlewellynJonesTristramC.pdf

I've been to various talks and presentations when he has been there and and asked a question. He immediately inserts a long preamble to his 'question' in order to hi-jack the meeting to his cause, although I'm still not sure what his cause is. I have to say, a posh accent does go a long way and sounds interesting at first, until - like the church sermon - it becomes boring and tedious.

A well spoken one-trick pony.

I find the new website confusing and bland, and I find I just don't bother trying to look at it any more, just occasionally look at a webcam, but more or less ignore it now :-(

I wonder what the analytics data says about the churn :lol:

It will be an unmitigated success.

Though I agree with you they have actually managed to make it worse, so I like you am wrong.

The biggest issue for me is that the only reason why I would go to the website is for Manx news, and yet on the homepage I only get 3 local news stories and 3 UK news stories, thats if you can find them in the clutter.

Then if you want to read more local news you click 'news' which only shows the last 6 news stories, click read more (or News in the news dropdown submenu), and for some reason you get the last 533 stories in one horrendous slow loading page,

The whole site lacks any thought to the user, and the homepage slider is more a case of 'lets copy the bbc' than 'what do we actually need'.

The old site was crap and needed modernising, sadly in this case modernising has been done without any real thought to what users want or need.

For fans of the old site, Manx Radio have kept it running on www.manxradiott365.com which must have confused any bikers out there looking for Radio TT information which has been completely absent from the new site.

Also what is with the urls? http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ not exactly clean or memorable.

Archived