Flybe scumbag pilot

newaccount

Well he was a scumbag but don't underestimate how stressful long term intermittent uncontrollable noise can be. Earplugs can be very effective for steady background noise like traffic but the brain has a tendency to lock on to noise like this no matter how much you try to ignore it.

Imagine its a crappy weather. You would want your pilots your the next flight to successfully deal with, say, an engine failure at takeoff that day. You wouldn't want your safety compromised because the pilots had denied sleep because of someone else's pet would you?

This doesn't defend what he did, but it does make it more understandable.

We'd better count our lucky stars he doesn't live next to a crying baby then I suppose.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah : ) and babies normally cry short term for a reason. Some dogs just bark and bark and bark for no apparent reason. For days, weeks, years. In fact for so long the baby has now grown up.

Edit: I had a job once where I had to be up at 0400 every workday after having got to bed about 0030 the "night" before. Just imagine an incessant senseless noise preventing you from getting to sleep for the short time you had. It would be enough to make most of us do something irrational.

Not only because of the scandalous thing that he did but because as a member of the flight crew of an air craft he should have a much more stable mindset and able to deal with stress, any stress, without behaving in such an irrational way.

It was a scandalous thing to do spook and he has apparently (only have this article to go on) been passed as medically fit to fly. I can't condemn him as much as you because there is an element of doubt regarding how much stress this caused and for how long.

It's too easy to think of the poor dog at the expense of everything else. Whilst it seems very cruel, There are other things more important.

We all handle stress differently and what might be very stressful to me might seem nothing to you because you have no real concept of what might or why it might constitute stress having never experienced that situation in life. I used to do a job that I think was considerably more stressful than flying but know damn well the man on the clapham omnibus might never understand that. In fact I bet one or two would resort to ridiculing the very idea.Didn't someone earlier think (maybe not seriously) that a professional life flying was easy? I'll wager it has its moments and trying to continually change your body clock when some yapping pet isn't helping is one most of us rarely consider.

He deserves punishment of course but the despicable act has apparently nothing to do with his fitness to fly and I bet he's been suspended due to adverse publicity for maybe.

Very good points.

Yeah : ) and babies normally cry short term for a reason. Some dogs just bark and bark and bark for no apparent reason. For days, weeks, years. In fact for so long the baby has now grown up.

Edit: I had a job once where I had to be up at 0400 every workday after having got to bed about 0030 the night before. Just imagine an incessant senseless noise preventing you from getting to sleep for the short time you had. It would be enough to make most of us do something irrational.

Perhaps if that irrational thing was immediate, but if you don't realise what you're doing is wrong sometime between filling the bucket and getting the dog there is something fundamentally wrong with you.

According to the story he killed a dog, not a baby. They are quite different things.

Given that he was a "family friend" so would have known that the dog was one of the last things the owners had left to remember their dead daughter by, I'd argue they're somewhat closer than normal in this case.

Perhaps if that irrational thing was immediate, but if you don't realise what you're doing is wrong sometime between filling the bucket and getting the dog there is something fundamentally wrong with you.

Quite so but don't forget sleep deprivation can be used as a form of torture and I for one wouldn't fancy someone in charge at the sharp end on my next flight who had been deprived of sleep for a reason such as this. I'm not saying this exactly what happened because I obviously don't know but it is a distinct possibility.

The was a well documented accident in the states*, involving a Dash Q400 where everyone perished when it stalled about 5 miles from the runway and burst into flames. Pilot fatigue was thought to have been a significant factor in the mishandling of the stall and about 50 died horribly. That sort of puts one dog's death into perspective although taken in isolation must have been heartbreaking for its owners.

It's clear what he did was completely unsupportable and downright cruel but imo the dog owners aren't complete blameless.

* If you want to read the gory details google Colgan Air 3407

You're having a bad day really. He drowned the dog in a water butt which was probably already full. You know, what with all the weather we've been having lately.

Quite so but don't forget sleep deprivation can be used as a form of torture and I for one wouldn't fancy someone in charge at the sharp end on my next flight who had been deprived of sleep for a reason such as this. I'm not saying this exactly what happened because I obviously don't know but it is a distinct possibility.

The was a well documented accident in the states*, involving a Dash Q400 where everyone perished when it stalled about 5 miles from the runway and burst into flames. Pilot fatigue was thought to have been a significant factor in the mishandling of the stall and about 50 died horribly. That sort of puts one dog's death into perspective although taken in isolation must have been heartbreaking for its owners.

It's clear what he did was completely unsupportable and downright cruel but imo the dog owners aren't complete blameless.

* If you want to read the gory details google Colgan Air 3407

I don't think that case really indicates that his options were to either kill a dog or kill 50 people. If missing sleep due to noise was a real risk factor for plane crashes pilots wouldn't be allowed to have children. This guy was/is either mentally unstable or a shitbag.

I don't think that case really indicates that his options were to either kill a dog or kill 50 people. If missing sleep due to noise was a real risk factor for plane crashes pilots wouldn't be allowed to have children

HeliX...... either you are trying to wind me up or you have been at the keyboard a bit too long today. It's not like you to post such stuff or drawn such unreasonably extrapolated conclusions like these.

If you *are* still being serious, yeah, pilots are bit weird for having to go to bed at 8pm or 8am or whatever and children could be an issue but there isn't anything worse than repetitive, intermittent and pointless noise like a constantly barking dog nearby when you absolutely need to sleep. If it sets other dogs off then this compounds the problem.

In the days when I went to bed at 8am after working nights and we had a young child, Mrs biker took him to a part of the house where I couldn't hear or took him out if he was kicking off. The situation was sort of controllable. You cannot reasonably control an incessantly barking dog belonging to someone else. I could imagine how this could really affect someone if it had been over a long period of time which the suggestion is that it was.

This pilot was undoubtedly a shitbag but there could be a huge lot more to this than some local reporter, with a need to fill empty pages with some horror story, might be telling us. You can never fail to get support if it's an animal cruelty story in the UK.

Just because Capt Crazy said the dog's barking drove him to kill doesn't necessarily mean that it did. Who's to say the dog was noisy? His disposal of the body suggests he's duplicitous.

Seems pretty extreme behaviour to me and with a very high degree of pre-planning.

Alternately, there maybe other reasons why he did it.

As a Captain (pfft) he's all gold braid and used to subordinates carrying out his orders; could the Mrs next door have refused his advances now that he's 50+, grey hair, overweight, unhealthy...let's face it, he isn't Bonar Colleano, so he trashes the pooch in spite?

In Court his defence is that he's got a slate loose, at the pilots medical his defence is that he hasn't; go figure as The Yanks would say, but I'm leaning toward the former.

His ticker isn't that sound either. The CAA will have questions to answer if he keels over or 'flips' again.

I speak from 5 decades of Border terrier experience via1/2 dozen dogs and bitches and none have been yappy; on the contrary, one of the more docile breeds outside of the hunt.

30 days in clink and loss of his pilot's licence would have been a sensible sentence. Then maybe he could find a less stressful job more suited to his qualities.

TBT

Just because Capt Crazy said the dog's barking drove him to kill doesn't necessarily mean that it did. Who's to say the dog was noisy? His disposal of the body suggests he's duplicitous.

Yes, most pet murderers would peg the copse out on their lawn under a huge arrow that says "Dead body here" in order not to be viewed as duplicitous.

Archived