Adsl Upgrades?

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah...a press release from over a year ago. It was made very public that MT were capping p2p software a long time ago.

Was it really? well they aint been capping anything, not up to the last few weeks that is, maybe they've just started using it recently? anyway I thought it might explain a few things to those that may be wondering whats going on with P2P, never mind eh.

Well unless it's me, i have been unable to get decent speeds from the "usual" download methods for about 2 months now. so i was assuming they were still capping them.

Thankgod i have a backup method that seems to of slipped past the radar.

Shame on you ans, usenet isn't just for warez!

Downloading from a usenet provider such as Easynews is a good idea, as that uses port 80 over HTTP for downloads, which can't be throttled, 'cause that's what all internet traffic uses :)

HTTP over port 80 you mean? Throttling appliances don't tend to use port numbers, that would be silly. You'd just change the port number of your p2p app of choice and carry on. They use packet inspection techniques to identify the application. I think the reason http wasn't throttled is because it's mainly used to download, not sat uploading 24/7 on peoples machines like p2p apps and bittorrent.

If you're using a news program, (NNTP traffic uses port 119), this can be throttled, but this can be circumvented if your usenet provider offers a web proxy for NNTP downloads, hence everything goes through port 80 again.

That's rot sorry.

One way I found to reliably get round the throttling when it was in place was to tunnel, but then you need a high bandwidth peer to tunnel from...

You can dance round it all you like, we both know what you're talking about.

The warn bar was always there. It's just that with the recent forum upgrade, we've taken the opportunity to let everyone see their own.

Archived