Adsl Upgrades?

Fair point Alias, but the whole point of my comments was that a forum member has rubbished my posts without giving any alternative information, substantiated or otherwise.

A very large percentage of the posts on this forum in many catagories are based on unsubstantiated or unprovable facts. If every post on this forum had to be backed up with concrete evidence there wouldn't be much of a forum.

Time will tell if my information (And indeed, my informant) is correct.

Roll on October (So I can get my upgrade, not so I can be proven right or wrong)!

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A highly reliable source at MT told me today that the rollout is going to happen from the 1st of October. All government departments will be given priority, followed by all the government officials, high ranking police officers etc who get it for free at home.

I dont know about that bit so wont comment on it.

Paying customers like us will benefit from a gradual rollout starting on or around the 3rd of October and everone on the island who can get it will definitely have it by the end of October, though the vast majority will have it at very soon after the 3rd.

The rollout is over a six week period starting from the 1st October.

I have no definitive proof of any of this, but the person who told me has never been wrong yet.

As regards the delays, I am told that 1 out of the 4 ISP's on the island was kicking up a stink after everyone else had agreed. Don't know which one it was out of MT, Domicillium, MCB and XKO but if this one ISP had not made a fuss we would have all had it a long time ago.

Considering the ISPs first heard of this through a press release from the Comms Commission without any consultation or communication from Manx Telecom or the Comms Commission prior to this, are you surprised there has been a delay? The upgrade will significantly increase the bandwidth requirements for all the ISPs on the Island with a decrease in revenue. It is also the case that bandwidth pricing is significantly higher than the UK. There were other concerns as well raised by the ISPs that I understand have still not been resolved.

Hope this helps, I am as eager as anyone for the speed upgrade.

Yes. We have been paying far too much for broadband for too long now but in my personal opinion there would be better ways for us to have better value broadband than what is going to be introduced.

Considering the ISPs first heard of this through a press release from the Comms Commission without any consultation or communication from Manx Telecom or the Comms Commission prior to this, are you surprised there has been a delay? The upgrade will significantly increase the bandwidth requirements for all the ISPs on the Island with a decrease in revenue. It is also the case that bandwidth pricing is significantly higher than the UK. There were other concerns as well raised by the ISPs that I understand have still not been resolved.

I presume the isp's aren't being forced to upgrade their customers? Manx telecom is increasing the limits on the circuit but the isp's dont have to deliver that bandwidth?

Why do manx telecom have to hold back their upgrade of bandwidth because the isp's can't manage it?

Yes. We have been paying far too much for broadband for too long now but in my personal opinion there would be better ways for us to have better value broadband than what is going to be introduced.

Like what?

A highly reliable source at MT told me today that the rollout is going to happen from the 1st of October. All government departments will be given priority, followed by all the government officials, high ranking police officers etc who get it for free at home.

Your source is incorrect.

I presume the isp's aren't being forced to upgrade their customers? Manx telecom is increasing the limits on the circuit but the isp's dont have to deliver that bandwidth?

Of course the ISPs have to deliver. If they dont then they will soon be out of business.

Why do manx telecom have to hold back their upgrade of bandwidth because the isp's can't manage it?

You have missed the points in my previous post Slim.

Like what?

I will have to consult my 4 year old to answer that as I am sure he could come up with something better.

Of course the ISPs have to deliver. If they dont then they will soon be out of business.

But that's just market forces, why should isp's have special protection from this by delaying a competitors initiative?

You have missed the points in my previous post Slim.

Which are?

I will have to consult my 4 year old to answer that as I am sure he could come up with something better.

See, as far as I see it, I'm getting 2mb for the same price as I was getting 512k. That's four times the bandwidth for the same price. How on earth can this be seen as a bad thing?

I'm hardly manx telecoms biggest fan, but this is looking like a very good thing and still there's bleating about it. Not sure how they can win if they upgrade people for nowt and still there's bleatage?

I'm hardly manx telecoms biggest fan, but this is looking like a very good thing and still there's bleating about it. Not sure how they can win if they upgrade people for nowt and still there's bleatage?

The price is still at least double anything else you'll find in Europe.

Some parts of europe yes, but not the uk. The price of beer and fags is also lower in many european countries, and I accept that it costs me a premium to live here.

2mb for 35 quid a month is a lot more than Jersey and Guernsey have.

Besides, 2mb is loads more than 512k, which is what we have now. I can't believe anyone can complain about a free upgrade!

Archived