Adsl Upgrades?

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just cannot believe that MT will give us something for nowt! Where is the catch or the small typing at the bottom of the page?

The saying, "you get nothing in this world for nothing" springs to mind, so this is why I am very sceptical about MT, I suppose time will tell :huh:

Last Ten

Given that it's been 'arriving' for ages, until I see that little 512 change to 2000 (or whatever it is) I'll not believe it.

This is the first public announcement over the date as far as I can see. Everything else was rumour and speculation wasn't it?

I interviewed Graham Shimmin from MT about this, so may be able to help?

The upgrade starts beginning of October and should be completed within a few weeks - I think most people will be sorted by the end of that month.

The reason Graham gave for the delay - I first talked to him about this happening in MARCH - was that the other ISP's had to be in agreement. I'm guessing that they all have to install new hardware, but that's only a guess. I'm also guessing it may have upset some pricing plans, but he wouldn't really be drawn on that!

Yes, it depends on distance to exchange, so not everyone will get the full 2megabits - but everyone should see their speed quadrupled from what it is now (assuming you're on a 512k deal). And MT are asking people out in the sticks to express interest so they can plan cabinet boxes or whatever they are to serve remote areas. Pal of mine out at Cronk-y-Voddy says he's getting a great broadband service from MT!

And there's no catch - as others have posted, MT are behind BT and others and need to be seen to be offering a competitive service.

Hope this helps.

Stu

Thanks Stu for this information but as I mentioned before I find it hard to believe that MT will give us something for nothing, but I will stand corrected if they do :angry:

Perhaps you could interview somebody from MT regarding the Mobile Charges thread that is going on here at the moment especially the roaming charge and the crazy tarrifs that they charge us for using our mobiles.

Thanks Stu

Last Ten

Yeah, cheers Stu.

I think it's great that we're going to see some quicker access on the Island. I don't mind paying the same for this. It's just a shame that it's taking so long for them to get up to speed and actually implement this.

p.s. I agree about the mobile charges esp. text - most of my bill is text messages!

I dont see how people are saying they'll only believe it when they see it. You can now get 10MB NTL from the UK for more or less the same price as us

3allz

I think you have misunderstood my postings! I am not doubting the technology aspect of broadband, I am merely questioning MT's ability to provide this known technology for no apparent price increase!

LT :rolleyes:

Archived