Adsl Upgrades?

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SDSL over EPS9 is also suspiciously unreliable at times on the Island.

Its something the UK has embraced in the last 2 years, with even BT using it. MT officially don't support SDSL-type stuff over EPS9, I remember them changing the billing to reflect the circuit as 'voice-only'. There's also the lack of an SLA.

I'm not sure why, from an ISPs perspective its a more cost-effective way of delivering bandwidth and the DSLAM/CPE kit is readily available and relatively inexpensive. Obviously there's range issues, as with any DSL technology. The only people who generally lose out are the telcos, they'd lose out on the installation costs and the ongoing line rental of a megastream. Aha, now that explains it.

There's a little MT notice somewhere that says they've been negotiating with bandwidth providers, and that it will probably be late July/August.

3.5km from an 'exchange' or DSLAM box for 2mb.

Whats happening for people that live out in the sticks relative to the exchange? I live in Ballasalla (far end) coming of the c'town exchange. I make it out to be about 3.5km in the car but not sure which way the wires are rooted.

Will it be a case of 'tuff titty you cant get 2mb but you'll still be paying the same as somewith who can'?

• 1 month later...

Archived