Adsl Upgrades?

The reason Graham gave for the delay - I first talked to him about this happening in MARCH - was that the other ISP's had to be in agreement. I'm guessing that they all have to install new hardware, but that's only a guess. I'm also guessing it may have upset some pricing plans, but he wouldn't really be drawn on that!

Thanks Stu,

This has happened before, initially MT wouldn't offer fixed ip's on business adsl because the ips's bleated that it'd bugger their expensive leased line sales.

Yes, it depends on distance to exchange, so not everyone will get the full 2megabits - but everyone should see their speed quadrupled from what it is now (assuming you're on a 512k deal).

That doesn't make sense :) 2mb is quadrupled 512, so either everyone will get that, or they wont. I'm out in the stix though and 2mb works fine for me.

LT: this is instead of a price increase really. Shame they're not offering a lower priced 512 only service, which is plenty for a lot of people. I'll always find something to bleat about when it comes to MT :)

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LT: this is instead of a price increase really. Shame they're not offering a lower priced 512 only service, which is plenty for a lot of people. I'll always find something to bleat about when it comes to MT :)

Good point Slim I never even give that a thought but what a really good Idea :D

Stu can you put that on your list of questions for MT if you ever manage an interview with them.

Cheers

Last Ten

I interviewed Graham Shimmin from MT about this, so may be able to help?

The upgrade starts beginning of October and should be completed within a few weeks - I think most people will be sorted by the end of that month.

The reason Graham gave for the delay - I first talked to him about this happening in MARCH - was that the other ISP's had to be in agreement. I'm guessing that they all have to install new hardware, but that's only a guess. I'm also guessing it may have upset some pricing plans, but he wouldn't really be drawn on that!

Yes, it depends on distance to exchange, so not everyone will get the full 2megabits - but everyone should see their speed quadrupled from what it is now (assuming you're on a 512k deal). And MT are asking people out in the sticks to express interest so they can plan cabinet boxes or whatever they are to serve remote areas. Pal of mine out at Cronk-y-Voddy says he's getting a great broadband service from MT!

And there's no catch - as others have posted, MT are behind BT and others  and need to be seen to be offering a competitive service.

Hope this helps.

Stu

Maybe you could ask whether there is anywhere in the British Isles where one pays more than on the Island. If the IOM is to be an e-commerce centre then why is internet access so expensive for members of the public? Shimmin should be put in the stocks (another tourist attraction maybe). Maybe that's a bit harsh but the IOM is way behind the rest of Europe in both the offerings and prices.

I can get 512/256 for 4 quid a month and that's Switzerland!

Even the irregular dial-up is a rip-off.

I can get 512/256 for 4 quid a month and that's Switzerland!

Switzerlands hardly a fair comparrision, it's got a pupulation of what, 8 million? Better to compare other jurisdictions similar sized to ours.

Offer is valid for Lichtenstein, also I am way out in the sticks, a much more challenging situation than on the Island.

I do take your point though - on the one hand low income / no capital gains taxes, other hand higher utility prices. Can't have everything...

:ph34r: A highly reliable source at MT told me today that the rollout is going to happen from the 1st of October. All government departments will be given priority, followed by all the government officials, high ranking police officers etc who get it for free at home.

Paying customers like us will benefit from a gradual rollout starting on or around the 3rd of October and everone on the island who can get it will definitely have it by the end of October, though the vast majority will have it at very soon after the 3rd.

I have no definitive proof of any of this, but the person who told me has never been wrong yet.

As regards the delays, I am told that 1 out of the 4 ISP's on the island was kicking up a stink after everyone else had agreed. Don't know which one it was out of MT, Domicillium, MCB and XKO but if this one ISP had not made a fuss we would have all had it a long time ago.

Hope this helps, I am as eager as anyone for the speed upgrade.

I will keep pumping my mole (Ooeeer!) for more information and post it here.

:ph34r:

I still didn't understand how MT can say that all ADSL customers on 512k can go to 2mb, when MT only act as the carrier between the customer and the ISP - its the ISP that foots the actual bandwidth bill (which in this case would mean a 4x increase?) I may be wrong but that was my understanding of it.

Its all good and that - but I would have thought a better solution would have been to simply drop the prices across the board where a 2mb would cost the same as a 512k currently, while the 512k would be considerably cheaper.

:ph34r: A highly reliable source at MT told me today that the rollout is going to happen from the 1st of October. All government departments will be given priority, followed by all the government officials, high ranking police officers etc who get it for free at home.

Paying customers like us will benefit from a gradual rollout starting on or around the 3rd of October and everone on the island who can get it will definitely have it by the end of October, though the vast majority will have it at very soon after the 3rd.

I have no definitive proof of any of this, but the person who told me has never been wrong yet.

As regards the delays, I am told that 1 out of the 4 ISP's on the island was kicking up a stink after everyone else had agreed. Don't know which one it was out of MT, Domicillium, MCB and XKO but if this one ISP had not made a fuss we would have all had it a long time ago.

Hope this helps, I am as eager as anyone for the speed upgrade.

I will keep pumping my mole (Ooeeer!) for more information and post it here.

:ph34r:

Sidney, your

highly reliable source at MT
is not at all accurate.

Please continue to pump your mole but make sure it at least resembles what actually happened before posting it on a public forum.

Ok

The upgrade starts beginning of October and should be completed within a few weeks - I think most people will be sorted by the end of that month.

Yes, it depends on distance to exchange, so not everyone will get the full 2megabits - but everyone should see their speed quadrupled from what it is now (assuming you're on a 512k deal). And MT are asking people out in the sticks to express interest so they can plan cabinet boxes or whatever they are to serve remote areas. Pal of mine out at Cronk-y-Voddy says he's getting a great broadband service from MT!

And there's no catch - as others have posted, MT are behind BT and others  and need to be seen to be offering a competitive service.

Hope this helps.

Stu

Did you not see that or something? :unsure:

Ok

Hope this helps.

Stu

Did you not see that or something? :unsure:

If you bothered to read the interview yourself you would have seen that the information I have given is very similar to the information in the interview, just a little more specific.

Thank you for your comments, 3allz, but they are not relevant and certainly not helpful to the discussion.

As for dooahhdoo, if you are going to flame me on a public forum at least have the decency to back your comments up. If you have information which is different or proves mine to be incorrect, I would welcome it, as I am sure everyone else who follows this topic would.

We have been having various bleats on this forum for months about this particular subject, and as far as I know genuine and accurate information is hard to come by, though only time will tell if my information is correct or not.

I have no intention of getting into a flaming session about information on a subject which none of us (Including yourself, dooahhdoo) can provide concrete evidence of.

So as I said in my last post; If you know better, lets hear it

As for dooahhdoo, if you are going to flame me on a public forum at least have the decency to back your comments up.

Your comment comes from an unrevealed source. You can hardly 'back your comments up' with information from a source of which the credibility is unknown.

I have no intention of getting into a flaming session about information on a subject which none of us (Including yourself, dooahhdoo) can provide concrete evidence of.

So as I said in my last post; If you know better, lets hear it

Don't hide behind the 'flaming' issue, if you want people to believe your post then back it up with something remotely substantiated, even if not 'concrete'.

I have nothing against anonymous sourcing (what makes a forum such as this an interesting place), but you can hardly beat someone down for doubting credibility..

Archived