...And they're off...in the Peel and Glenfaba steeplechase

Uhtred

The telecoms licence that would have been useless because delivering internet through electricity cables doesn't actually work?

Really?http://www.devolo.com/uk/About-devolo

Surely the point is that folks made a lot of cash and ran up a lot of x's "researching" it's suitability in the time honoured fashion known and loved by taxpayers everywhere...

Yes. But maybe if they'd have got a telecoms license they would have got the R&D money back and made a good profit on it? The principle works - Devolo has sold over 25m devices that convert your domestic power main into an Internet hub. So who knows what would have been? MT would have been shagged if the MEA was supplying all broadband in the IOM as part of your monthly eleccy bill.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be voting Boot, on the basis that he is such a gobshite he will make the establishment's lives uncomfortable, but he won't ever have any real power so there is limited downside.

Wouldn't you say that Baron Boot, Tory councillor and aviation show off, is the very epitome of the establishment?

I'd be voting Boot, on the basis that he is such a gobshite he will make the establishment's lives uncomfortable, but he won't ever have any real power so there is limited downside.

Wouldn't you say that Baron Boot, Tory councillor and aviation show off, is the very epitome of the establishment?

he is probably one of those who wears captains stripes when flying a light aircraft alone? a walter mitty wannabe.. whatever.gif

I think that genuine members of the UK establishment would be embarrassed to be near him. Given how little good individual MHKs can do (and likewise, how little harm), you might as well get some entertainment value

At a time when there are some really big challenges facing the Island, we have this village egg and spoon race to the Island's national assembly, with very little scrutiny of their capabilities or fitness for government. Frankly, one or two of these candidates names shouldn't even be allowed anywhere near a ballot paper.

I like how one of Boot's main comments is about how big businesses on the island don't pay tax here:

"Big businesses operating on the Isle of Man and threatening local enterprise, whilst paying little or no direct taxation, need to be faced down"

His roots lie in quite a well known chemist chain, one of which are on the island!!

I like how one of Boot's main comments is about how big businesses on the island don't pay tax here:

"Big businesses operating on the Isle of Man and threatening local enterprise, whilst paying little or no direct taxation, need to be faced down"

His roots lie in quite a well known chemist chain, one of which are on the island!!

and certain e gaming companies are on the list too no doubt. at the end of the day these bigger companies have the clout to say lump it or we're leaving and the jobs go with us. no doubt treasury would rather income tax from people than have to be paying them job seekers even if they have to miss out on real money to keep people employed.

Pretty much spot on WTF. That's why they give to charity too - "All these charities rely on us, if we were to leave, they'd suffer immensely too..."

Just makes business sense.

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet here and suggest that many more high profile e-businesses could do better on the charity front. There are some excellent sponsors/donors/community supporters out there but I suspect there are a number who hang on to the shirt tails of e-gaming who keep their hands well and truly in their pockets.

I can't nail any numbers to the above statement but it's based on a gut feeling from having attended a couple of social events in the last couple of years where, during charity auctions, some people/companies who I was introduced to earlier in the evening as being majors in the e-gaming world mysteriously disappeared only to re-appear again later in the evening after the auction had finished.

(Now awaiting a good slagging!)sweatingbullets.gif

Archived