DNS and Manxforums

ans

Not sure how widespread this is, but we seem to have noticed some issues with people trying to access MF using Wimanx DNS Servers. It would appear to be some sort of DNS poisoning. No idea what other sites have been affected but the tests I've done seem to be redirecting to malware sites.

Realise that anyone who has this problem can't see this message, but if you do see anyone complaining about it, suggest to them that they change over to Google or OpenDNS servers in the meantime.

Also, if anyone from Wimanx reads this, they might want to have a look at stuff.

This has been tested across multiple users, multiple machines and multiple ISPs/physical locations and the Wimanx DNS servers are the only constant.

Edit: As per posts later, this is an MF DNS problem not limited to any particular ISP. The fix has been applied but it will take time to resolve witht he way DNS works.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does MF have a twitter account? - might be worth a chirp.

Yeah we do, @manxforums

I was giving it some time to see if it settled down before I did that. I'll put something out now.

Phone (MT) works fine but cannot access MF via my laptop (Sure). And it's only MF, any other sites available as normal. Firefox says it can't access the server at ww9.www.manxforums.com.

One attempt brought me to a site which told that I could be a millionaire in double-quick time!

Then nothing, after numerous attempts...

Phone (MT) works fine but cannot access MF via my laptop (Sure). And it's only MF, any other sites available as normal. Firefox says it can't access the server at ww9.www.manxforums.com.

One attempt brought me to a site which told that I could be a millionaire in double-quick time!

This was the state of play yesterday evening, you now have stale DNS records cached locally on your laptop. This link may help: http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-flush-dns.html

Scroll down to the DOS (cmd) screenshots, the ipconfig /flushdns is what I would try, it will not harm your laptop at all.

I have Wimanx, but I'm away from hone today. I have the default DNS servers set up at the moment, and I've noticed delays accessing MF for a while now. It is intermittent, so I haven't bothered raising a support call. I have also experienced the same issue with other IoM sites, e.g. Manx Radio.

This is what I got - but I was getting the millionaire site quite frequently.

it was only MF, everything else worked fine

It seems ok this morning (WiManx)

I have Wimanx, but I'm away from hone today. I have the default DNS servers set up at the moment, and I've noticed delays accessing MF for a while now. It is intermittent, so I haven't bothered raising a support call. I have also experienced the same issue with other IoM sites, e.g. Manx Radio.

FWIW on a quite badly hammered development PC I find IE to sometimes be very slow accessing MF whereas Chrome is always fast. On Windows 10 Edge is very fast, will be a fine browser when it's finished in a month or so.

FWIW on a quite badly hammered development PC I find IE to sometimes be very slow accessing MF whereas Chrome is always fast. On Windows 10 Edge is very fast, will be a fine browser when it's finished in a month or so.

Oasis on OSX & on IOS equally affected for me.

This was the state of play yesterday evening, you now have stale DNS records cached locally on your laptop. This link may help: http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-flush-dns.html

Scroll down to the DOS (cmd) screenshots, the ipconfig /flushdns is what I would try, it will not harm your laptop at all.

Thanks for the advice. Followed your instructions but to no avail. Downloaded the Firefox dns clearance add-on but that had no effect either.

Thanks for posting that on twitter I was confused before I read that. I got blank pages, bloody typical, I need to be a millionaire, please can one of you guys share the secret? In a PM ofc, we don't want them all to know, eh eh?

Thanks for posting that on twitter I was confused before I read that. I got blank pages, bloody typical, I need to be a millionaire, please can one of you guys share the secret? In a PM ofc, we don't want them all to know, eh eh?

Just send me the contents of your bank accounts, then wait thumbsup.gif

Archived