DNS and Manxforums

ans

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have done all that, because I can. The majority of MF users cannot, demonstrated by few returned. You might as well ask them to fly the space shuttle, i.e. they're point and click people and not technical.

There's nothing they can do though, it'll be a 7 day wait.

Eh, GD4. For DNS to resolve after a change? Usually a few hours or a day at most.

Had plenty of experience with our own site with changing name servers. Day and a half at most. I'd be tearing my hair out with a 7 day wait and loss of business contacts.

What happened with MF name server on this occasion? Was it altered in error or maliciously?

Eh, GD4. For DNS to resolve after a change? Usually a few hours or a day at most. Had plenty of experience with our own site with changing name servers. Day and a half at most. I'd be tearing my hair out with a 7 day wait and loss of business contacts. What happened with MF name server on this occasion? Was it altered in error or maliciously?

Looks like a hack, the change can be forced through the internet though but there's no guarantee it'll be fast as the hacked record was set to 7 days.

@GD4: I assume it would be a random malware hack? Don't reckon it would be worth anyone's while to actually target MF? Suppose it's just a possibility any website owner has to be alive to nowadays. Bloody nuisance though. Be great if you could devise something that went straight back to the originator to blow his equipment up!

It'd be advisable to change the password on the registrar/hosting company (whichever the DNS is held with) website and any emails associated with it. Assuming you haven't already.

@woolley: Unless there's a vulnerability in the registrar or hosting companies website then the likely issue would be either an easy to guess (or re-used) password, or malware on the admin's pc...

@GD4: I assume it would be a random malware hack? Don't reckon it would be worth anyone's while to actually target MF? Suppose it's just a possibility any website owner has to be alive to nowadays. Bloody nuisance though. Be great if you could devise something that went straight back to the originator to blow his equipment up!

Years ago a tit in Belgium hacked my phpbb forum and was stupid enough to leave a trace. My mate drove down from Holland to his house and spoke with his mother who then gave his a right royal bollocking :) .

Archived