The Best Decade to be Born In?

Gladys

Within 20 years we will all be wiped out by a biological weapon pandemic . Way i see it, if i die in debt then i have won in the game of life.

I haven't viewed life like that so far but you could be right. In 20 years time I'm sure the cyborg that finds all the krugerrands buried in my garden will be grateful.

I was watching a program last night about a wealth gap between the generations. About how expensive houses are now compared to 30 years ago, etc. A lot of what was said was true and appropriate content. In particular the student debt that many young people have. However, the whole issue was so totally skewed I their direction, it was ridiculous.

Young couples today complaining about paying £800 a month while earning an average wage (circa £26000). When my wife and I first married in 1982, we paid £300 a month from our JOINT annual income of £7650. We could not afford a washing machine. We could not afford to buy a TV, so we rented. It was 1986 before we could afford a holiday. In 1988 we bought our first house for £44,000. Due to the tree times the mans salary and one times the woman's salary, that was as much as we could afford. Monthly repayments were £412 at first, but as interest rates rised they went up as fat as £800 per month. At that time, our joint annual income was about £25,000 a year. With rates and everything else, we were on our arses for a year or so.

The point is, as someone from that older, despised generation, I have absolutely no sympathy for that younger generation. They blame the older generations for buying cheaper houses, not understanding the sacrifices they made. The younger generations are too busy spending hundreds a month on mobile phones, Sky contracts, Broadband contracts, gymn memberships (rarely used), etc. They then complain at paying similar amounts on rent as we paid in mortgage plus insurance, etc. But, we were on half the money. All I can say to that current generation is FUCK OFF AND GROW UP!

That is just my reaction to the rather biased program.

That is so true. I first got on the property ladder in the late 80s. I bought a house jointly with another girl on the basis that it was better to be paying a mortgage than rent. She decided she would stop paying the mortgage so I had to buy her out ( pay off her mortgage debt). Then interest rates spiralled and I moved into the living room and rented out the two bedrooms. That went okay, apart from the police having to intervene in a marital dispute involving a knife and having my freezer emptied. I never got either the knife or freezer contents back! So, my entry into the property boom was pretty rocky and after I got married I sold the house below the price paid, but it was worth it to get on to the next stage. Not a tale of unmitigated success.

I keep thinking that one day people will get tired of buying endless amounts of "stuff". Not happened yet but I think I detect signs of "stuff" fatigue.

I have it already, I am sick of stuff. People die and then you're left with their stuff and they have stuff that belonged to other dead people before they died and then you can't throw it out because it was blah blah blah's. On top of all the dead peoples stuff you have years and years of stuff of your own, I keep buying instruments & material. I keep trying to get rid of things but as soon as I do someone else brings something else, I'm stuffed out :)

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 10/11/2016 at 9:52 PM, the stinking enigma said:

Within 20 years we will all be wiped out by a biological weapon pandemic . Way i see it, if i die in debt then i have won in the game of life.

Since this thread has been bumped from years ago, this post did kind of stand out!

Somebody had a plan 😜

• Thanks 1