Gov't investments losing tens of millions of pounds per annum

craggy_steve

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2016-11-18 at 07.36.33.png

OK, so the FTSE100 didn't do so well 2015-16, but isn't avoiding such losses what the investment managers get paid for?

What a lovely idea. These fellas do well if they keep up with the FTSE. Some do better and some actually do a lot worse. No. The object of the exercise is to get an annual dip into your pot. All other considerations are secondary!

BS

One thing the Island does very well is manage the reserves and manage those who invest the money; there are some competent people in the Treasury behind this.

Indeed. I was talking in general about fund managers. I recognise IOM Govt investments have been extremely well managed over the years. Better managed than the government itself in fact.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so that was 31 March figure. What is the figure for today. It should have made up the losses.

I suspect that Government has a mix of bonds and equities and that not all equities are FTSE100. The other FTSE indices have done better than the 100 over the last few months

Indeed. I was talking in general about fund managers. I recognise IOM Govt investments have been extremely well managed over the years. Better managed than the government itself in fact.

Nice save :)

Paying off the illegal loan at the MEA would be more preferable, instead of giving the false assumption we have £480+ million we don't really have.

Meanwhile, on pieces of paper, the imaginary 'reserves' can still be plundered by government worker pensions, while electricity consumers pay through the nose for electricity, and through the arse for a shit to help them plunder the pot longer.

The public will never see any advantage from the reserves, they are not there for the likes of you or me.

From memory it is. Which makes this all a bit of a paper exercise IMHO.

A government owned department owes the government money. Or put another way the MUA customers (the tax payers) owe the tax payer.

As it stands I'm not sure how we can argue about reserves and the debt the MUA has because one has an impact on the other.

Archived