Huge Meat Plant Loss

Non-Believer

We have a customs union with the UK, don't we? Surely that would preclude a surcharge on meat products to subsidise the loss making slaughterhouse here on the Island.

Continuing the subsidy just delays the process of change that clearly needs to happen. If the business is losing that much money, it needs to either change or go bust.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stand to be corrected but I believe Globetrotter and his associated companies received over £115,000 for the last year for which figures were released - 2015 I think

Given that he leases out his farms apparently, it's hard to understand quite why he needs the cash

With Tynwald expenses etc, he may even achieve over £200,000 from the public purse this year

Is he the first Chief Minister to become a millionaire from government grant aid alone I wonder?

Anyway, Grand Moff Bernard has suggested that means testing be introduced for 'agricultural' grants - which is a jolly good idea

I know of one case where the family are in receipt of care in the countryside payments and tourist development grants to convert farm buildings to tourist accommodation.

Same people spotted in Douglas last year looking for converted town house flats to buy as investment properties. Means testing is urgently required,

I agree with self sufficiency and not being reliant on other countries for food or drink whatever that may be.

if less meat is being slaughtered year after year and the same volume of meat is being sold on the island, then there's bound to be a negative balance somewhere along the line.

Propping this up with subsidies is fine in the short term providing that the business increases it's profits, but this does not seem the case.

Not sure what can be done with the exception that all meat products sold in IOM shops have a small surcharge added which is paid into whatever Government Department/slaughterhouse with the exception of any meat slaughtered in the meat factory which is exempt from the surcharge.

Downfall - Meat costs will increase and purchasers of meat would pay the price.

It was a thinly thought out suggestion and it might please some, but it won't please all

meat is already very expensive on island, there are a lot of farmers with new farm worker cottages for their kids along with new tractors and quad bikes all round, they are definitely raking it in but producing less than they used to feed our own abattoir. they ship livestock off island for slaughter because they get a better return. so all round they take out from everywhere while not actually feeding their own abattoir with enough stock for it to run more efficiently. government should stop subsidising farmers with a country side care scheme or whatever they want to call it especially if the farmers are shipping off island. farmers should sell on island and the abatoir ship off island any surplus to local needs product.

I'm sure that at one time it was illegal to import uncooked meat to the island?

Having said that we didn't have supermarkets worth talking about and there were a myriad of butchers shops around the town feeding a busy holiday industry. We did however have a population of about 60,000 so it must balance out somewhere.

Certainly Tynwald members receiving large sums annually in 'agricultural' grants from the hard-pressed public purse, including LegCo's CM

Can you be more specific - what huge sums?

https://www.gov.im/media/1353650/iom-government-accounts-dark-blue-book-2015-16.pdf Page 77

Wow, environmental criminal and bigot David Anderson is clearing the thick end of 200 grand a year from the taxpayer (probably over 200 if you price his pension properly).

That's value for money, I'm sure

He can't give MFs views, he can only give his own, mostly wrong ones.

nonsense !

I like the way you have to ring up and reserve a place as space is limited?? reads more like I have a black list of names we don't want to hear from so I have to tell those shit stirrers it is full and they can't come. maybe they should have used a bigger venue?? the gaiety?? sort of appropriate really me thinks............................

Just for clarity, am i right that the IOMGov owns the Abattoir but does not run it.

The IOM fatstock association, a farmers private co-operative rents and runs it.

The Co- op [ a private concern] is subsidised by direct funding from the taxpayer including export subsidies.

The co-oop has benefited by trade restrictive Gov regulations effectively banning selective competition.

I do find often that some folk think that the abattoir is part of some Gov dept, maybe because it costs the taxpayer mucho dinaro, same with the Dairy, a very similar situation to the abattoir.

I wonder how our veggie/vegan peeps feel about their tax pennies directly supporting the commercial meat production industries profitability.

Archived