Huge Meat Plant Loss

Non-Believer

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the options stated, the 'run a shop' one is the most sinister. No, no, no. The government should get the hell out of the private sector and leave it to the people who know it. I'm sure the butchers and farmers would find a way if the place went down the toilet. It should not be a governments job to get in the middle and start to compete with well run private sector businesses.

so in 2016 more than 20,000 sheep were sent off Island for slaughter, that's 12,000 more than in 2015 and 4,600 cattle which is 2,000 more than in 2015.

Means throughput at the abattoir is falling which increases cost per unit slaughtered because fixed operating costs stay the same.

Number of thoughts, you can buy fresh Manx meat cheaper in Liverpool and Preston than in IOM.

Now that the red meat derogation has gone and non Manx meat can be imported to IOM is the playing field so unlevel that we can no longer justify having our own meat plant?

Are there sufficient important national requirements to keep Manx livestock industry going that Government should either continue subsidising the abattoir or start to subsidise the cost of exportation and bringing back the dressed meat?

Is animal welfare sufficiently important to stop live meat exports?

Those seem to be the questions I would like answers to as a tax payer.

Has anyone ever asked why Manx meat is never reduced in price on local supermarket shelves coming up to its sell-by date? As all other chilled products are?

So, am i right in that Manx Farmers [who are the operators of the abattoir] are exporting their beasts to UK abottoirs rather than use their own abattoir which is losing money due to lack of throughput ? Smells of over production subsidised, via export subsidy, from the IOM Gov, another money from the taxpayer into the farmers pocket wheeze.

Does anyone know the cost to the taxpayer for the disposal of the slaughter waste through the incinerator, cant see the Fatstock paying.

Manx farmers produce more meat than is required on the island. So it has to be exported into a very crowded market place. There are only a limited number of meat processors in the U.K. Now. They have great economies of scale , processing more stock in a day than the Iom does in a month.

Manx farmers expect to be paid the same as uk farmers. In fact Manx farmers feel they should be paid more than uk farmers as their costs of production are higher.

If their product was of a higher quality than uk rivals I would have some sympathy. But the truth is, it isn't.

Archived