Huge Meat Plant Loss

Non-Believer

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£500k loss. After £600k subvention. Up to five times previous annual losses. Iomtoday. Discuss?

nothing to discuss,shut the fucking place,let the place to a private contractor anything government has a finger in loses money bigtime.

just import all meat, if producing your own isn't viable

l simply can“t uderstand the fixation on pumping huge sums ôf money into farming

this îs 21st céntury not 18th

You cannot predict the future for security of food supply. We need to produce as much of our own needs as possible.

Is it there to make IOM meat cheaper (by carrying the costs of compliant slaughter)? i.e. is it effectively a subsidy for the IOM farmers?

Don't see how seeing as they can get better prices by exporting their stock. Whether it be economy of scale lacking or rank bad management, the problem seems to be the local processing.

Didn't our beloved Chief Minister try to set up a private abbatoir once?

Maybe they should have let him.

I think that was penti christian and not howard quayle. penti was doing a lot of whining about the meat plant and how it should be done and wanted to set up his own down at ellerslie. government would not approve planning permission for any competition to their own white elephant so they gave him a job at the meat plant instead, haven't heard a peep from him since..............................

Didn't our beloved Chief Minister try to set up a private abbatoir once?

Maybe they should have let him.

I think that was penti christian and not howard quayle. penti was doing a lot of whining about the meat plant and how it should be done and wanted to set up his own down at ellerslie. government would not approve planning permission for any competition to their own white elephant so they gave him a job at the meat plant instead, haven't heard a peep from him since..............................

sounds about right for the I-o-m gravy train passengers.

l simply can“t uderstand the fixation on pumping huge sums ôf money into farming

You cannot predict the future for security of food supply. We need to produce as much of our own needs as possible.

We "need" to produce arable products. We do not "need" to produce meat. If ever there comes a time when we have to rely on being self-sufficient we would be fools to be wasting time, water, resource, land & energy in producing crops to feed to animals for months before killing & eating the animals. We wouldn't have enuogh land anyway.

Shut the slaughterhouse, not a penny of taxpayers money should be wasted on a non-essential luxury like meat.

We "need" to produce arable products. We do not "need" to produce meat. If ever there comes a time when we have to rely on being self-sufficient we would be fools to be wasting time, water, resource, land & energy in producing crops to feed to animals for months before killing & eating the animals. We wouldn't have enuogh land anyway.

Shut the slaughterhouse, not a penny of taxpayers money should be wasted on a non-essential luxury like meat.

You have a point. It seems like a huge subsidy to the farmers. I think the Gov ought to investigating closure very seriously.

It's unrealistic to expect the whole population to go vegan, and I presume that we would need to import all our meat?

Is there any profitable arable farming that can be done on the Island? I don't see much grain, oilseed rape or market gardening although obviously some must be produced because I see Manx spuds in Shoprite and Ellerslie manx rapeseed oil.

If farmers are left to find a new business model, then one might be raising high value livestock for meat (grass fed beef, rare breeds like Loughtan sheep), and exporting live for slaughter elsewhere.

Why all the hate? There are some proper old Manx yessirs that have made an absolute fucking fortune managing christ only knows what down there over the years. It's almost as if you lot don't want to contribute to the dream salaries and pensions of those Manx as the hills families so that they can buy up flats to rent out and piss off on endless cruises when they retire in their 50's? You lot have no patriotism.

Yes. We are omnivores so of course we can survive without meat, but we choose not to and most people would not consider it a luxury. Therefore we should produce our own product and we would certainly not be fools for securing the supply of something that is desirable. This is a different issue to the angst a minority feel about others eating meat.

The government will never sort out any problems whilst it continues to insist on operating in a commercially confidential manner. The whole farming spectrum needs to be thrown open to daylight, farmers at the sharp end who need assistance should get it and rich landowners who revel in the countryside care scheme shouldn't ! The only countryside care I have seen near where I live is a wildflower meadow reduced to a quagmire by being used as a tractor turning and store for horses ! and you can bet public money is thrown at it !

We should be supporting farmers to FARM !

Food production is strategic and that is it.

However:

Archived