Huge Meat Plant Loss

Non-Believer

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be interesting to see just how much of our money is paid to farmers, once you take into account the countryside grants etc along with the slaughterhouse losses. I've tried to find the amounts paid out via agricultural grants but surprisingly, the link (Breakdown of annual payments on this page) doesn't work on the Gov.im website.

Why can't they just call it a slaughterhouse anyway? Too raw for them? Meat plant my arse.

are any of the government owned enterprises making a profit? also is this the only slaughterhouse on the island? Is it there to make IOM meat cheaper (by carrying the costs of compliant slaughter)? i.e. is it effectively a subsidy for the IOM farmers?

Being a small island we might have to accept that we cannot produce meat at a cost to match the UK, so either we subsidise the meat industry or we do away with it and rely on the UK and Ireland to provide our meat for us.

Personally, I don't mind paying a bit to subsidise the farming industry on the island, I do object to ministers hiding the true cost of that subsidy purely because they are embarrassed about it.

Get it out in the open and have a grown up discussion about it.

are any of the government owned enterprises making a profit? also is this the only slaughterhouse on the island? Is it there to make IOM meat cheaper (by carrying the costs of compliant slaughter)? i.e. is it effectively a subsidy for the IOM farmers?

Being a small island we might have to accept that we cannot produce meat at a cost to match the UK, so either we subsidise the meat industry or we do away with it and rely on the UK and Ireland to provide our meat for us.

Personally, I don't mind paying a bit to subsidise the farming industry on the island, I do object to ministers hiding the true cost of that subsidy purely because they are embarrassed about it.

Get it out in the open and have a grown up discussion about it.

Farmers got 7 million a few years back

£500k loss. After £600k subvention. Up to five times previous annual losses. Iomtoday. Discuss?

Well it would appear that there has been a dramatic drop in the number of animals being slaughtered which clearly impacts substantially on revenue whilst I expect a lot of the costs are fairly fixed/static.

Does anyone know why there has been such a reduction?

I assume the plant only slaughters animals from on island? If so, are we to assume that simply people are eating less meat or is it linked to meat exported from the island?

They're seriously trying to hide it there. Refusing the information, and then finally providing it, and then refusing the exact same request for 2016.

I agree with the 2016 refusal. At the end of the day those accounts should be audited/finalised and nothing released before that. However once they are completed then they should be available as with any other year.

There are several issues here. The plant isn't fit for purpose (ask Tesco's). It's more cost effective for farmers to ship their animals to auctions across. There are now some farmers slaughtering themselves and selling direct to people like Shoprite. A number of farmers are no longer sheep farming as they are losing money (the article highlights this). IOM farmers generally are struggling and not making any money contrary to popular belief.

Archived