Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, notwell said:

Those two sentences don't belong together.

I think you'll find Homarus probably knows more about the Douglas Harbour and tidal flows than most 'experts' who will be banking shed loads off the back of this white elephant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, b4mbi said:
4 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It's a crazy plan just like a lot of the crazy plans that we seem to be having in the clamour for the public sector to try to stave off reality for another few years. Even if the boats came after such a massive investment there's not really anything for people to do or spend their money on when they get here. Looking at the huge numbers being discussed if the government was half sane it would combine this with repairing / replacing / upgrading Ramsey Pier as I believe tidally it would be easier to implement out there and, funnily enough, thats been a deep water embarkation point for steamers and big vessels since 1886. I don't know why they are even thinking of doing this in Douglas even if it is probably a colossal waste of money anyway.

Sorry, this is uninformed nonsense.

B4mbi, you know very little about our island and even less about our tides, currents and weather patterns.

Your should do yourself a favour and take notice of people like homarus and cheekyboy, as they leave you standing regarding local knowledge.

You may talk the talk where money is concerned, but there is a bigger load of bollocks in this scheme, than in Stinky's wheelbarrow.

Edited by dilligaf

19 hours ago, dilligaf said:

The tide in Monte Carlo is about ONE FOOT. Here it is about 16 feet and more. Hm.

How will WE service these ships then ?

The pontoon in monte carlo is close in plus it is not very tidal, if at all in the med. I have seen a 26000 ton cruise ship on it, no problem

49 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

B4mbi, you know very little about our island and even less about our tides, currents and weather patterns.

Your should do yourself a favour and take notice of people like homarus and cheekyboy, as they leave you standing regarding local knowledge.

You may talk the talk where money is concerned, but there is a bigger load of bollocks in this scheme, than in Stinky's wheelbarrow.

Clearly you've never met me then.

I don't profess to have any vast local knowledge, (despite being resident here for 38 years...) to talk any talk or have intricate knowledge of weather and tidal patterns.

However, I know how to access that information, and present it to professionals who do the sort of engineering works and calculations necessary to provide for a fixed deep water berth. 

The proposal is for a fixed breakwater, which is essentially what the battery/Alexandra pier is, so even homarus and cb would find it hard to argue that it wouldn't work technically.

I think it's possible Captain Carter would back me up on that point too, but I wouldn't presume to put words in his mouth. 

Of course, the business case has to stack up also, which would be the acid test of whether or not the scheme goes ahead. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

I don't profess to have any vast local knowledge, (despite being resident here for 38 years...) to talk any talk or have intricate knowledge of weather and tidal patterns.

However, I know how to access that information, and present it to professionals who do the sort of engineering works and calculations necessary to provide for a fixed deep water berth. 

The proposal is for a fixed breakwater, which is essentially what the battery/Alexandra pier is, so even homarus and cb would find it hard to argue that it wouldn't work technically.

I think it's possible Captain Carter would back me up on that point too, but I wouldn't presume to put words in his mouth. 

Of course, the business case has to stack up also, which would be the acid test of whether or not the scheme goes ahead. 

Still does not work, or will not work.

Too many people out for the easy pickings offered by our stupid Government. sadly they are that stupid, they are easy targets. Yes ?

( I have not met you, but have read enough about you to form a strong opinion.)

Edited by dilligaf

This is all very interesting ..I have nautical map downstairs somewhere and will check tomorrow as to depth at Queens pier . 

I do know that outside the battery pier it's borderline depth allowing for swell etc. have checked before when having a row with Juan Turner about this floating pier option.He was right behind it but interestingly didn't know the correct depth needed or the draft of these ships...All available on google 

9 hours ago, b4mbi said:

One of the reasons we are as an island in the financial mire at the moment is too little notice has been taken of any serious business case and too much notice of the supporters of these projects which quickly assume a life of their own ! An acid test for me would be what attraction it holds for private money ? and not just the usual profligate rose tinted glasses of Government wish lists !

• Like 7

1 hour ago, asitis said:

One of the reasons we are as an island in the financial mire at the moment is too little notice has been taken of any serious business case and too much notice of the supporters of these projects which quickly assume a life of their own ! An acid test for me would be what attraction it holds for private money ? and not just the usual profligate rose tinted glasses of Government wish lists !

Well here is a challenge!

If it is seen as such a good project for private money let the Isle of Man Government invite proposals by advertising in the following marine civil engineering publications and see if private money is willing to invest on the strength of a concession...I am assuming that Isle of Man Government has not already advertised of course! Click the links...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjHq-qN_9rUAhXjD8AKHfGcBMsQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmagazines.ihs.com%2FDredging-and-Port-Construction%2F&usg=AFQjCNFyvBE4gww_xedaJNw0M2sERdwr0A

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjHq-qN_9rUAhXjD8AKHfGcBMsQFggsMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maritimejournal.com%2Fnews101%2Fmarine-civils%2Fport%2C-harbour-and-marine-construction&usg=AFQjCNGm1iQXc4FD-SyrqYxM74vxvrgbUg

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjHq-qN_9rUAhXjD8AKHfGcBMsQFggzMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deme-group.com%2Fdredging%2Fexpertises%2Fport-construction&usg=AFQjCNExXqgo_bnP3a-lxR1pXxpeyfSxZg

15 hours ago, notwell said:

Those two sentences don't belong together.

Just as you don't belong anywhere near this topic as you obviously know sweet FA about the . Manx Coastal waters

5 hours ago, asitis said:

That post should be inscribed in a very large font, framed and hung in the Tynwald chamber!

• Like 3